Options

70-680 Scheduled

LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have my exam scheduled Jan 05. I have been studying this whole month since Dec 05, using CBT Nuggets and Reading Don Poulton's book. I have learned so much since starting, never knew how much Windows 7 actually has to offer that I wish I knew earlier.

I took some practice exams and I am scoring a 80 - 90 range. I think I am very comfortable with the material. I feel as if I should reschedule to an earlier date, but I suppose I should take that time and study notes. CBT Nuggets was a good series to use, it covered pretty much everything, I used the book to reinforce the concepts. I did about 2 video's a day, along with the chapter for review.

This will be my first MS Test, and I know how people have said these tests are beasts, so I don't want to spare any free time not studying or prepping.

Any words of encouragement or advice/suggestions will be appreciated. I'll report back as soon as I take the test, which is in about 2 weeks from today. Next will be the 70-686 - I want that MCITP: Enterprise Admin title ^^
Kindly doing the needful

Comments

• Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I too am currently studying for the exams. I have two books, using CBT Nuggets videos and Professor Messer videos, taking various practice exams. Want to hit as many study outlets as possible. Going to be much harder than CompTIA but I'm sure I will be able to pass, hopefully on the first try.

Good luck, we are on the same cert path!
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    Good luck with the tests! The MS exams are tough, but definitely doable. Focus on the core competences. Study everything inside and out regarding the subject matter listed on MS's website regarding the exam you're taking. You'll do great! You're going to pass!!!
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    I am very confident I should do well, or atleast pass this test. I've been going through some of the labs in Don's book, I've even picked up a copy of the MS Press book despite it many errors. However, it does have plenty of good stuff in it. I appreciate the encouragement guys.

CoralReef, I hope to see you on the passing side ^^
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    From memory the 680 was brutal. Dont underestimate it. It also references a lot of server side tech. For the 686, know those deployment scenario's. Know when to use WDS/MDT/SCCM.

I think there was a bit of crossover on the 680/686.

Good luck and let us know how you go!
  • Options
    3 days left until my exam sit date - I'm actually getting a bit scared haha....

I can only take so many practice tests, I've even skimmed through the book on concepts I have issues with. WDS/MDT/SCCM, DISM, IMAGEX, WINPE, It's all a blur sometimes. I would recommend everyone actually take the time to learn those the most. I feel like most of the questions aside from the ones that do with deployments - are common sense if you've been working with Win7 for a while. I know the Networking stuff pretty much, sometimes I do get tripped up on the IPv6 stuff...

Welp, 3 days to study, lets hope I pass ^^
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Keep us updated LittleBit...I too have been cramming. I just finished watching every professor messer video and taking notes - almost 100 pages of handwritten material (took me hours and hours and hours). Now I'm going through the CBT Nuggets videos. I have Poulton's book too and am heavily digging into technet. We are both well prepared we can do this!

2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I will start studying for this exam in the next month myself. I start studying for AD this evening. Allow me to recommend the Exam Cram books. Great reading material and they always give you a practice tests at the end of each and every chapter.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    MCITBoundMCITBound Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the Messer videos and Don Poulton's guide to be very relevant to the material covered on the exam. The CBT Nuggets videos were also helpful from a different perspective. I wish you good luck LittleBIT and coralreefguy on your exams! Let us know how you did!
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    Thanks! I will certainly keep you in the loop!

• Options
    One thing that helped me was to go straight to the answers to see if there was a pattern. You can usually throw 1 answer out being that is isn't relevant to anything. Then read the last sentence in the question. THAT is the real question they are asking you. Usually, the first part (body) of the question is there just to through you off (waste time). The 70-680 isn't just about Configuring Windows 7, it's a test on time management. So, this should help you out as well.
    icon_wink.gif
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    I will start studying for this exam in the next month myself. I start studying for AD this evening. Allow me to recommend the Exam Cram books. Great reading material and they always give you a practice tests at the end of each and every chapter.
    You might as well start studying for the windows 8 exam (70-687). This is a quote from the Microsoft, MCSA Windows 7 web page:

"Until January 31, 2014, when you earn your MCSA: Windows 7 certification you also earn your MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration certification and either your MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 certification (Exams 680 and 686) or your MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7 certification (Exams 680 and 685).

After January 2014, you can no longer earn the MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration, MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7, or MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7 certifications, but Exams 680, 685, and 686 will still be required for the MCSA: Windows 7 certification."
  • Options
    Failed today, missed it by a few questions. This test is convulated lol. Lots of extra sentences to throw you off. I'm planning to re-take it soon. I feel like I rushed this test. 50 questions. Will report back. Staying positive, my first test failed in 5 months...
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thanks!

I am a bit down on it, but I am remaining positive. I dont even get a second shot option.. so another $150 is coming out of my pocket. But, again, its all about mind set. I am remaining positive so I can keep pushing forward and study the sections I was poor on, and retest. I am not going to give up!

I'll report back when I retake my test w/ results.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    Thanks!

I am a bit down on it, but I am remaining positive. I dont even get a second shot option.. so another $150 is coming out of my pocket. But, again, its all about mind set. I am remaining positive so I can keep pushing forward and study the sections I was poor on, and retest. I am not going to give up!

I'll report back when I retake my test w/ results.
    Sorry to hear about the failure. Were you at least close?

I just scheduled my exam for the 9th (this coming Thursday) at 1:45PM. I'll report back how I do. I'm still studying. I have Tues/Weds/Thurs off this week so I plan on absolutely cramming like nobody's business. I registered with a second shot which I hope I won't have to use. I'm trying to cram the 70-685 in this month as well so I can grab the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7 cert before it expires at the end of this month.

• Options
    How did you register with secondshot? I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    How did you register with secondshot? I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks.
    You have to go to second shot's website, request a voucher first. They'll email you the voucher ID. When you pay for your exam, you include the voucher ID as if it was a discount/promotional coupon code. It won't take anything 'off' the exam. However, if you fail and sign up a second time - it waives the entire cost of the exam when you put in that same voucher/coupon code.

Retake Microsoft Certification Exam for Free | Microsoft

• Options
    Failed!!!!

661/1000

This damn test is a real beast lol. I am a firm believer that the survey is a direct correalation to the exam itself. Next time, I am choosing 'low' for all competencies.

I am going to watch Pro. Messer's video's, and read the MS PRess book, I already went through the CBT Nuggets vids and Don's book. I guess MCITP : EA will not be for me, I'll just take the MCSA, screw the title Lol.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Passed today with above an 800 score. Exam took me about 30 minutes. I'd say the questions are very close to the practice questions included in Poulton's CD (that came with the book). A few threw me for a loop. I did the worst on the Deploying section, but a few sections I got 100% on.

Again, my study tools were:

CBT Nuggets for 70-680 (watched every video)
    Professor Messer videos for 70-680 (watched every video)
    Trainsignal videos for 70-680 (only watched a few videos)
    Read Don Poulton's book
    Extensive reading of Technet (whenever I found something that wasn't clear or I needed a better understanding of command line functions, I went here)
    Extensive home labbing (home domain using windows server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows icon_cool.gif

I probably spent close to 100 hours of time studying for this exam over the last month. I do work in helpdesk and have some interaction with the Windows 7 interface, but not normally on an enterprise-support level.

• Options
    Passed today with above an 800 score. Exam took me about 30 minutes. I'd say the questions are very close to the practice questions included in Poulton's CD (that came with the book). A few threw me for a loop. I did the worst on the Deploying section, but a few sections I got 100% on.

Congrats on your pass!! icon_cheers.gif On to the 685?
  • Options
    MCITBound wrote: »
    Congrats on your pass!! icon_cheers.gif On to the 685?

Yup. I've been studying Gibson's book in tandem to help get a grasp of the materials for 70-685. I'll be attempting it in two weeks, leaving myself time to take it again should I fail. I want to get the MCITP cert. I also want to finish this so I can jump into Cisco.

• Options
    Yup. I've been studying Gibson's book in tandem to help get a grasp of the materials for 70-685. I'll be attempting it in two weeks, leaving myself time to take it again should I fail. I want to get the MCITP cert. I also want to finish this so I can jump into Cisco.

Well, you're halfway there (and have the hard one out of the way)! Good Luck on the next one!

Keep going LittleBIT!
  • Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□

Again, my study tools were:

CBT Nuggets for 70-680 (watched every video)
    Professor Messer videos for 70-680 (watched every video)
    Trainsignal videos for 70-680 (only watched a few videos)
    Read Don Poulton's book
    Extensive reading of Technet (whenever I found something that wasn't clear or I needed a better understanding of command line functions, I went here)
    Extensive home labbing (home domain using windows server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows icon_cool.gif

I probably spent close to 100 hours of time studying for this exam over the last month. I do work in helpdesk and have some interaction with the Windows 7 interface, but not normally on an enterprise-support level.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    Congrats dude!

I'm going to keep going and watch Prof Messer's video's. I am not giving up. I'm happy you passed. Congrats again dude!
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    PASSSSSEEDDDDDDD!!!!!

782/1000

Finally, this damn thing is under me.

No need for me to go into detail...

I did use the MS PRess MS Trainiing Kit for 70-680, I felt that book was actually better than Don Poulton's book. In my opinion... I just liked the foward, here it is style of writing vs the 'this is WAIK, Install WAIK, Press Next,'. I won't discredit his book however, it was good for practical experience if you follow along.

Now, I'm going to eat this celebratory cheese cake.

Next is either 70-686 or 685... Not sure yet.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    PASSSSSEEDDDDDDD!!!!!

782/1000

Finally, this damn thing is under me.

No need for me to go into detail...

I did use the MS PRess MS Trainiing Kit for 70-680, I felt that book was actually better than Don Poulton's book. In my opinion... I just liked the foward, here it is style of writing vs the 'this is WAIK, Install WAIK, Press Next,'. I won't discredit his book however, it was good for practical experience if you follow along.

Now, I'm going to eat this celebratory cheese cake.

Next is either 70-686 or 685... Not sure yet.
    70-686 is all about deployment and supposedly far harder than the 685. I've been studying for the 685 myself, which is the Enterprise Desktop Support Technician exam. It's about troubleshooting in real-world scenarios. It's the one I'd recommend going for. I'm taking it in 3 hours, I'll let you know how it goes.

Congratulations on the pass! You did it! :D

• Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    LittleBIT, I passed the 70-685 today. Shoot me a PM and we'll chat. I definitely think you'd benefit more from taking it over the 686.