Options

Denied Addmissions to WGU

Oracle712Oracle712 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I finally received an email in regards to my admissions to WGU. In a nutshell I was denied. The email never specified exactly why I denied. All I received was,

"We acknowledge and thank you for the time you have spent applying to WGU. We have reviewed your application and, unfortunately, cannot offer you admission at this time. The results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment were a major consideration in this decision. While WGU does not offer specific feedback regarding individual admission decisions, we encourage you to review the topics of the Readiness Assessment, identify your areas for improvement, and retake the Readiness Assessment in three months.

Please note that successful completion of the Readiness Assessment does not guarantee admission to WGU. As listed on our website, below are the additional criteria we consider when making an admission decision.
Admission Decision Criteria Your prior college experience and work experience Your results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment The time commitment you can make to your studies If applicable, program-specific prerequisites We realize this is not an ideal situation. In general, applicants may increase the likelihood of admission through completing transferrable, college-level courses with good grades in mathematics and writing.
We wish you success as you advance your education."

I'm going to Streamline to get some college experience under my belt. Will I have to take the assessment test "Again" in 3 months just to play the waiting game? What other preparations should I be making?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We couldn't really help you with that. I would call WGU and find out.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Looks like you failed because your admissions test. If you remember the subjects that were on the test you took I would just study them and try again when they will let you.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe you could look for some local community education or community college courses in either writing or mathematics? It may boost your chances of admission if you could transfer in some general education credits.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oracle712 wrote: »
    We have reviewed your application and, unfortunately, cannot offer you admission at this time. The results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment were a major consideration in this decision.

Seems pretty clear, as others suggested brush up on the topics from your readiness assessment.
  • Options
    slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□

I'm going to Streamline to get some college experience under my belt. Will I have to take the assessment test "Again" in 3 months just to play the waiting game? What other preparations should I be making?

Did you talk to your Enrollment Counselor? They are your advocate for admission and can have a hand in getting you admitted to the university.

That said, I think your StraighterLine idea is a great one. WGU often requires a class or certification exam before admission, because they want you to succeed.

Good luck!
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • Options
    slotzero wrote: »
    Did you talk to your Enrollment Counselor? They are your advocate for admission and can have a hand in getting you admitted to the university.

That said, I think your StraighterLine idea is a great one. WGU often requires a class or certification exam before admission, because they want you to succeed.

Good luck!

Thanks friend. I think that's my best course of action.
  • Options
    jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe even if you have a certificate or college experience and fail the entrance exam you will still not be accepted in college.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I received that exact letter from WGU when I applied. There was no way on earth I could have failed the readiness assessment. I spoke to my counselor and it turned out that I had stated somewhere that I had no transferable college credits, so my application was automatically rejected, despite the fact that I had several IT certifications. Anyway, my enrollment counselor rectified the issue and I got it, so, as others have said before, get in touch with your enrollment counselor immediately!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    I received that exact letter from WGU when I applied. There was no way on earth I could have failed the readiness assessment. I spoke to my counselor and it turned out that I had stated somewhere that I had no transferable college credits, so my application was automatically rejected, despite the fact that I had several IT certifications. Anyway, my enrollment counselor rectified the issue and I got it, so, as others have said before, get in touch with your enrollment counselor immediately!

My thoughts exactly. I figured it was just a generic email that they send out. If you failed, they should have at least said what ares you failed in so that you make work on it.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    My thoughts exactly. I figured it was just a generic email that they send out. If you failed, they should have at least said what ares you failed in so that you make work on it.

Definitely talk to your counselor.

However, please also be aware that colleges never tell you why you didnt get in. They will never say you did not get in because of GPA or test scores, etc. They will just say you didnt get it. These letters are automated. Personalizing them takes too much time, money and effort on behalf of the institution.

I know it sucks. But keep trying and you'll get there!
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Corndork2 wrote: »
    Definitely talk to your counselor.

However, please also be aware that colleges never tell you why you didnt get in. They will never say you did not get in because of GPA or test scores, etc. They will just say you didnt get it. These letters are automated. Personalizing them takes too much time, money and effort on behalf of the institution.

I know it sucks. But keep trying and you'll get there!

Thanks Brother, just got off the phone with him. Real cool guy. He said it was my lack of college/work experience that did me in. So straighterline it is. I will ofcourse have to retake the readiness assessment but like the first time I took it, should be a slam dunk. This board is awesome. Alright guys, here I go!!!
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Glad he was straight with you, I had nothing but good experiences with my admissions guy, but others not so much. Good luck!
  • Options
    slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This board is awesome. Alright guys, here I go!!!

It is! A great resource, I'm certainly glad I found it, too. Good luck!
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's good to know that it's merely from lack of experience. I almost got to the same point when I was told my international transcripts would not transfer in so I quickly booked and passed the CIW foundations exam to make up the transfer requirement.

You should be able to sail through it then take the readiness exam.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you thought about applying to another school. I know from my days in highschool I submitted several applications, some accepted, some didn't. The ones that accepted I started researching, finally deciding on a University. Sounds like you could just move on and look for another school. (Just my two cents)
  • Options
    qrayqray Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got the same email