Options

CCNP Security in 2014: My Journey

mtjikuzumtjikuzu Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
After lengthy consultation with a very wise man "My inner voice', I have decided that 2014 will be the year that i go for my CCNP Security creds.

Its been a little while since I completed my CCNA Security, so I might have to brush on some details that I might have forgotten once in a while but my study plan is as follow:

1. CCNP Security: Firewall

At the moment I have the OCG and the Quick Reference Guide that I will be reading.
I also have Harrs Andrea Cisco ASA Firewall Fundamentals that I am going to go through.

2. CCNP Security: VPN

I have the OCG and the Quick Reference guide and also Harris Andrea Cisco VPN Fundamentals

3. CCNP Security: IPS

I have the OCG

4. CCNP Security: Secure
I also have the OCG.

At the moment I don't know what the time frame is to get all 4 exams done, I will refine that as I go along and measure my progress.
I will be using this thread to track my progress on all 4 exams so I am in it for the long haul.

Let me know what your opinion is on Brandon Carrol's teaching as I am thinking of getting the INE CCNP Security Videos.

Hopefully I have enough discipline to get through all 4 exams without much fuss.

Adios.

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I am doing the exams in the same order as you. I have been using the ocg, quick reference, CLI guide and CBT. I can say I am quite satisfied with these resources but I cannot give you any info about INE. A very big one here will be experience. Have you touched this stuff in production? This made a huge difference for me and I can even say it was easy at times because of the hands-on.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Yes I do have work with the technology at work which is a big part of why I chose to go with it. I have access to spare equipment at work so that will come in handy but I will most likely be leveraging GNS3 for the small lab setups.

I think I will just go with CBTNuggets for the videos. I am a long time fan of Keith.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Yeah, I enjoy Keith's lectures a lot too. I have managed to get two ASAs up in GNS but it is not very stable and can get very frustrating. Drop me a line and I will find the article about it, in case you haven't already.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    I have been reading Chapter 1 of the OCG. Lots of theory and I am taking lots of notes for later review.

I have decided to go with CBT Nuggets for the video. Using them in conjunction with the chapters as I read them.