Options

Finally got an IT job. Now need an advice

sanrussanrus Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everybody. I want to thank everybody from this forum. I got some good advices and tips on how to get into IT. It took me about 6 months to find an IT job. I went for a pay cut, but I am still happy because I have a chance to get some experience. I am working as a network admin. It is a small company but I have to play with Windows server 2008, sql server, mysql.
Now if somebody can give me an advice which certs should I get to advance. Originally I wanted to get CCNA and CCNP but since I don't work with routers here, it seams like it makes more since to go after MCSE. That way I will have cert and some exp in that field. Correct me if i'm wrong. I am still interested in CCNA path.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    First, Congrats. If I were you, considering the position you are in now, I would go after the MCITP Client & Server then MCSE. Don't count the CCNA out though, go for it. Fact of the matter is, it is a good thing to have on your resume and what many employers look for (even though its considered entry level). So if you are looking to move up eventually, you will have already had experience with the foundational topics. Once you research each cert, you will know what path you want to take in regards to which ones you'd want to line up and take.
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Agree with Agent47. To complement your new role, the MCSA to MCSE route would be a good start. Once achieved, if interested at all in the network side, begin studies towards the CCNA. As Cisco certs are some of the hardest to get, having this under your belt is a feather in your cap. Congratulations on the new position, take time to enjoy where you are now, get some experience to go with the certs, and slowly begin the climb. Best of luck in your new career.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]