Options

When to start looking

mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, the title says it all. I'm just not sure when to start looking for and applying for jobs. How soon would be too soon? I'm in the Army and still have 2.5 years left on my contract. I've done 2 years of network management (Cisco and brocade), and I will have 3 years of helpdesk and minimal system admin experience.

Where do I start? I would really like to do a purely switch/router networking job. Should I apply as a NOC tech, Jr Network Engineer, Network Engineer I.... Etc? I'm willing to work in any 50 states, or possibly overseas if housing/bennies are included. I'm just not sure which job/job level to apply for. Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2.5 years might be a little too far out. Most employers will want a more immediate start date.

I would consider pushing your resume out and networking around the time you go to TAPs Class (Transition Assistance Program) to help you seperate from AD to the civilian world.

I believe you can go to TAPs anytime within the last 6 months of your enlistment. Until then, keep your nose clean, make a name for yourself via your work, and get in with who you know at the moment.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I will use "time to respond from employers" as a rough estimate if it helps you. The soonest I was contacted by an employer (not including automated responses) was ~3 months. I just received an email last week asking for more info from a resume I sent in almost 6 months ago now. So 3-6 months would be a safe bet.

You do however have years more experience and a pile of certs + military background. It could go a lot quicker for you.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I would agree with 6 months or less as 2.5 years in the army is a long time (lots can happen in that time). I can't tell you how many soldiers I had that swore up and down they were getting out and ended up reenlisting. Credential/experience-wise it doesn't sound like you'll have too much an issue finding a job.
  • Options
    I'm just a little bit more worried than I should be. I just don't won't to end up like 90% of these soldiers I see that get out that say "I got my CCNA, I'm definitely going to get out", and then you see them a few months later working at a bar because they couldn't pass a technical interview. I'm not sure what level job to apply for either. Just uncertainties that I have. I'm not even sure where to start when it comes to applying. I've never made a resume, and I feel like it would look/sound like complete garbage if I did make one. Time certainly does creep up on me though. Hell my first three years flew by, and I don't want to miss any opportunities because I lost track of time again.
  • Options
    Trust me I fully understand, it is frightening because the military is an institution not just a job. There are quite a few veterans on here that can give great advice. First things first get to TAPS/ACAP what ever it is called these days. Those guys will help with those skills; resume writing, job searching, interview skills and so on. After you go to that class this board will help to fill in the blanks.

What is you current level of education?
  • Options
    I'm working on my associates in computer studies. Then BS in computer networks and security with a minor in cyber security. 3/4 the way done with my associates as of now
  • Options
    The only suggestion I can offer until you get closer to getting out is focus on finishing school. Being in the army you're guaranteed to have documented experience so increase your credentials.
  • Options
    I only plan on having my AAS by the time I get out. I'm still not sure what level jobs to aim for. I don't want to do an entry level job, but I understand I might not have an option as far as a networking job goes.