Options

Old College Student Looking for an Advice..

netfatihnetfatih Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody, I am very thankful for God I found this forum three days ago. I think here will be my lifesaver :)
I am 28 years old and I am still going to College for my BS Information Technology degree( it will be finished next fall 2014). I already have my associates degree on Microsoft Networking. However, I don't have any certifications even A+ yet.. I worked for a company that was doing A+ jobs and some networking for three years. Currently, I am not working, I am just going to school in order to finish it asap. I tried some programming on Java and I found myself at the middle of nowhere and I don't think I can be a programmer..

So my question is, I would like to be in networking industry. Do you think in order to be system admin, having CCNA Routing and Switching and Linux + certifications are enough? Or should I follow Microsoft pathway to be system admin?

In addition, I am going to 4 year college right after my technical college because I believe that being higher positions in the future requires at least 4 yr college degree most likely. So i would like to be in management position in the future also. And the another thing is I am really tight on the budget nowadays. I really needed to be in an OK position right after the school in money wise. ( I know everyone needs money :D)

I saw very professional and valuable people over here. I sincerely pay attention every post.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It sounds to me like your not sure which direction you want to go in. I would focus more on finding an entry level job to gain some experience.
    Even part time at a computer store is better then nothing. Your young and unemployed so you can choose any path you like at this point. You are only restricted by what your interested and capable of doing.

I would focus on finishing your degree and maybe one certification that interests you. Don't worry about your next school until you are working because in IT you will be learning your entire life.

Good Luck
  • Options
    netfatihnetfatih Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, thats my problem. I still couldn't decided which pathway should I follow. Some says go with Cisco certifications because everyone says I am not gonna have any problems when i am looking for a job with Cisco knowledge. And some says windows pathway will be better in some ways ( like easiness. servers) etc . I believe that I am far behind than other people who has the same age with me. I worked for a computer store, it was not beneficial after some point. I was really good at my job.

I am totally frustrated.. I started studying ICDN1 already, i will be ordering my lab equipment in two weeks..

But still I am not sure which pathway will be better for me.. Thank you Jon.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use packet tracer or GNS3 for your CCNA studies. Save your money
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP