Options

"Analyst" positions

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have 5+ years background running a warehouse that relied heavily on logistics and inventory control (lots of numbers and forecasting), an Associates in management and I am working on a BS in IT.

I have been approached twice about an "analyst" position. I declined interviews in regards to the positions because they seem to be more of a hybrid between an accountant and an IT position with emphasis on the Accounting. Is that what I should expect if I see "Analyst" in a job title?

This is a question I have always had but never thought to clear it up...

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So many job titles seem to really vary depending on the company. I've seen "network analyst" jobs that were anywhere between a systems admin and helpdesk I. Just best to really read the job description instead of ruling out all job openings that use analyst in the title.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's going to depend like Danielm said. Really no telling to be honest. You have Data, Financial (which that position sounds like it could possibly be or maybe supporting a financial/accounting system), Business, Help Desk, Network, etc. It really is hard to tell. However if I was to come up with a possibility of the position you briefly described it would be supporting a financial/accounting system.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    It's going to depend like Danielm said. Really no telling to be honest. You have Data, Financial (which that position sounds like it could possibly be or maybe supporting a financial/accounting system), Business, Help Desk, Network, etc. It really is hard to tell. However if I was to come up with a possibility of the position you briefly described it would be supporting a financial/accounting system.

@Danielm7 & N2IT: Thanks, it seems in this area analyst = business/financial analyst. I don't have the job add in front of me but it had a lot of "must knows" that, when I googled them were financial and HRM standards. Bleh....
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are in the market for a job, I would suggest that you don't assume that "Analyst" implies business/financial. In IT, analyst is a generic term that is commonly used to denote an individual contributor role. It's like saying "Manager". The term itself isn't used within specific geographic areas but may be more common in certain IT positions that support specific industry sectors. For example, I work in financial services sector and the term "Analyst" applies to many IT positions and do not imply business or financial functions.
  • Options
    Great incite paul, thank you. I see another member on here just landed a "support analyst" role which essentially = help desk.

I was looking on Ford/GM/Chrysler's hiring sites today (I'm in metro Detroit) and just about every position offered in Chrysler had "Analyst" in the term. Just another word to toss around in adds I guess.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In a lot of larger companies you are either analyst or engineer.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've seen that analyst has been used a lot for regular IT at Government Contractor companies especially in the DMV area.