Options

Advice for a old noob.

DonRicklesDonRickles Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,
I am a longtime lurker here at techexams. I am a 40 year old man that has spent the last 15 years as technology generalist in live concert audio production. I have built, designed, repaired, resuscitated and invented ways to make things work for as long as I can remember. Large scale live audio production has become dependent on digital wi-fi controlled LAN environments to make the magic happen. It also entails many, many days away from friends and family. About two years ago my wif...err I mean "I" decided that since I was basically an I.T. guy(especially Wi-Fi) that maybe I should pursue a more "traditional" I.T. job. So, I enrolled in the local CC and now two years later received my A.A.S in Computer Networking Technology and I have my A+, Sec+ and CCNA R&S certs.

I also have had the awesome luck to land a new job on the Network Team at a very large company as a Network Analyst/Admin overseeing an enterprise network of over 45 offices worldwide. Primarily a Cisco house with a blend of Catalyst & Nexus gear. I am learning tons everyday and the company is very pro-training so I am very excited. I realize my good fortune but am looking towards my next goal of a bachelors degree. I originally planned to go to WGU for the BS- IT Sec degree but as I will be starting in January I find myself contemplating the BS- IT Net Admin degree. I would like opinions on the pros and cons of both. I am very much a "Network" guy. I am not really a fan of Windows, Servers, Active Directory, blah, blah...... So it seems the Sec degree would be more up my alley but I do not really have any visions of myself sitting at a cabin on Vancouver Island while earning mad cash pen testing the worlds most secure networks but then again that would not suck! Anyway which one and why? Sorry for the verbosity and Thanks! What say you?

Comments

• Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Honestly I think you are about to have a LOT of people tell you to skip the degree for now and go get some more certs! I just completed my master of science in information assurance and if I was where you are I would focus on certs! CCNP, then mix in a couple security certs. Learn Python, go get CCNA:Security, lots of places I would invest my time and money in before going and getting the degree.

Most importantly know your local market or the one you intended to live in! My MSIA was meant to open some doors where I planned to live! Life happened and now I am stuck in a region where the degree is almost meaningless! For midlife people like you and me experience > Certs > Degree. That is true from almost everyone, but is doubly so for us old guys! That is my 2 cents! Ohhh and at this point in life NEVER go in debt to get a degree!
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since when 40 is "old"? icon_rolleyes.gif
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    He's making me feel old...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Having one degree or the other is going probably not going to make any difference in your career honestly so just choose whichever one lines up more with your interests.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think the Network Admin would make you more well rounded. However if security is your thing the stick with security it pays very well.
    I miss the money from security but I didn't love it like I do the network admin side. I personally intend to switch my major at WGU when I return currently I'm on a term break.
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's an age old question as to which will move the needle farther, a degree, certs, or both. Fact of the matter is it simply depends on where you land.

I've been looking at listings in the Northeast on jobs boards for the last month for Network Admin/Engineer and almost all want a 4 year degree with at least a CCNA cert. Depending on the level of the position some want a CCNP.

I was meeting with a recruiter b4 Thanksgiving and she told me she used to run HR and a large multinational tech company. She had a person apply for a position for which he had the certs and experience but no 4 year degree. Company policy said she couldn't bring him in.

So far I would say your doing very well for yourself as many wouldn't get such a position without having more on "paper" than you do.

First I would look at the listings in your neck of the woods and see what they require for the job you want to do. Then go from there.

Networking and Security are where the money is right now. Since you've got such a gr8t start at that I would expand on it.

CCNP's and CCIE's start out around 100k up here. You won't get that kind of dough installing/troubleshooting software.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Let me say this much-- having that bachelor's degree on my resume has made getting calls much, much easier. At least out here, companies seem to want to see the degree on the resume.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers