Options

Degree Or Self Study?

JamesITJamesIT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering what the best way to get into infosec would be? I made a thread on here previously and got some good advice on certs I could do and I've decided on this path:

eCCPT Gold (Student & Pro Course) (Studying for this atm)
GCIH
OSCP
GXPN
OCSE
GWAPT

However after speaking to a friend who does security he recommended I did a degree in computer science, But I am not too sure as I'd need to quit my job I have at the moment to go and do that. Is this the ideal path? Or is self study a better option and doing the certs?

Thanks,
James
2014 Cert Goals: eCCPT (DONE), BSc Hons Ethical Hacking (In Progress)
2015 Cert Goals: CompTIA Security+ (Done), DVLA Driving License, Security Tube Python Expert

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have a degree?
  • Options
    Do you have a degree?

No I don't, Thats what I'm asking should I do a degree in Computer Science and then do the certs maybe? or go down self study method and do the certs that way?

I'm not sure :s

Thanks
    2015 Cert Goals: CompTIA Security+ (Done), DVLA Driving License, Security Tube Python Expert
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Okay. I have to ask because I'm amazed by how many people feel the need to get a degree in CS or IT because their bachelor degree in another area. I don't think getting a BS in CS is a bad idea at all. It looks like you're interested in pen testing and it's a good idea to have a foundation in programming.
  • Options
    Oh I see, I'm going to speak to a few universitys tommorow when they are open and see what they offer. Most likely going to study in Scotland as its cheaper.

They also do a BSC Hons in Ethical Hacking, Looks interesting Ethical Hacking | University of Abertay Dundee

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I am hopefully ending the end of my working years. I don't have a degree, but have over three completed years of college. Should have finished, but that is history. The subject has come up early in my career, and that was often thrown in my face. I remember taking over a guy's position who had a masters, but couldn't do the work. When they brought up the fact I didn't have a degree, I pointed out how much good it did the last guy. So I have had my share of jobs that had degree requirements, but more and more I see that can be substituted with experience. On the other hand, I wouldn't let my son start working until he finished college. I think he's learned much more in the work force, but at least the same doors won't be closed for him.
  • Options
    slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Okay. I have to ask because I'm amazed by how many people feel the need to get a degree in CS or IT because their bachelor degree in another area. I don't think getting a BS in CS is a bad idea at all. It looks like you're interested in pen testing and it's a good idea to have a foundation in programming.

This is good advice - you can check out Learn Pentesting Online too, inexpensive way to get your feet wet and figure out what you want to do.
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • Options
    slotzero wrote: »
    This is good advice - you can check out Learn Pentesting Online too, inexpensive way to get your feet wet and figure out what you want to do.
    I spoke to a few universitys in UK and scotland and they wont accept me because of the exam board my Level 3 Diploma is (City & Guilds) So I dont meet requirements for A levels ect because of that and I dont have other qualifications which can meet it. I cant study as mature student either till I'm 21. So looks like I'm going to self study, Or look at moving to america to do a degree.
  • Options
    rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    Have you thought about doing a degree online? or via the open university?
    Also what type of work are you currently doing? Those certs you want to study should really be backed up with some real world experience.
  • Options
    rob1234 wrote: »
    Have you thought about doing a degree online? or via the open university? Also what type of work are you currently doing? Those certs you want to study should really be backed up with some real world experience.
    I'm an IT technician at the moment for a IT support company, However I'm looking to pass the eCCPT and GCIH and then try and apply for a junior security job so I can get the real world experience in Security. I have not looked at online degrees, I will have a look. Thanks