Recent College Grad, Seeking Help

gilly225gilly225 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I graduated In May of 2013 with a degree in Business Management, however I find myself wanting to get into the I.T. field. I was a CS major up until my second semester junior year where I decided to get away from programming. Today I am seeking a job such as a Help Desk Technician. I am very experienced with troubleshooting computers and have built multiple systems from scratch. I recently went out and got my A+ Cert and am now studying multiple hours a day to receive my Security +.

The problem I am seeing is that I will receive an interview based on my resume and nothing will make of it. I receive calls daily however they usually end up with "Were looking for someone with more experience or a particular skill-set such a Linux experience". I'm not sure if it's my resume, the way I communicate, my credentials or what. A problem that it could also be is that I live in D.C. area and it is VERY competitive. I find it difficult to somewhat prove to the recruiter that I do actually know my way inside and out of a computer.

I am seeking any and all types of assistance. I planned on uploading my Resume through an attachment however it will not except any of the file types I tried.

Thanks

Comments

• XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I would not think it could be your resume. Afterall, they are contacting you based on what they are seeing on your resume. Your credentials should also be on your resume, so it is also not likely to be because of your credentials. Your job experience should prove that you know your "way inside and out of a computer"; therefore, it is apparent to me that something is going wrong in the interview process because it is at this stage that it is failing.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I would agree it could be how you interview. While companies may be looking for people with specific experience in some technology, at that level what they're really looking for is someone who is excited and passionate about learning it.

If asked about your linux experience during an interview and you leave it at you don't have any they're likely to say they want more linux experience. If you go into how you've been wanting an opportunity to get more hands-on experience and would pick up a few linux books then they'll be much more willing to give you the chance.
  • gilly225gilly225 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for both of your responses. Most of the calls I get are usually recruiters from out of state and simply state they found my resume online. A majority of them I can tell English is not their first language.

Would you guys recommend I pass Security+ before applying for anymore jobs?
    The calls have died down and I'm starting to get a bit discouraged.

I am also pasting my resume here for any other advice, thanks!

Overview

• Seeking an employment opportunity in the Information Technology Field.
    • Consistently recognized for hardware troubleshooting skills and adapting to new technical issues.
    • Quick learner with strong working knowledge of software, hardware, networking, operating systems, and security applications.

Education

Radford University, Radford, VA

Graduation Date: May 2013

BBA College of Business and Economics
    AACSB Accredited, Major: Management
    • Heavy course work in Information Technology field. Experience with problem solving and programming concepts, principles of computer science, and managing technology and innovative ideologies.

Technology Summary

Certifications:

CompTIA A+/ Actively Seeking Security+

Systems:

Windows 7/Vista/XP/NT/2000/

Hardware:

CPU Chipsets/MOBO/RAM/BIOS/Expansion Cards/PSU/SSD/Media

Networking:

TCP,UDP Ports/Protocols/Wireless standards/Topologies/Tools/Command Line

Additional:

RAID/Displays/Printers/Laptop Repair/ Mobile Devices/Operational Procedures

IT Experience

• Successfully hand-built multiple advanced systems for individuals of dissimilar skill-sets.
    • Excellent with principles of human-computer interaction. Able to evaluate interactive products and choose best possible result.
    • Skilled in web application development using different technologies and frameworks. Experienced with tracking and cookie management, privacy and integrity issues, security, file sharing, and web services.
    • Hand-built multiple powerful desktop systems.
    • Familiar with multiple hardware components: INTEL/AMD Processing, Flash Memory, Multiple RAM Chip sets, Internal/External Drives, advanced graphics, multiple sized bay-sets, power supplies, cable management, soundcards, heat sinks etc.
    • Ability to translate business into technological fields.
    • Essential strategies with networking issues.
    • Able to troubleshoot/manage process speeds and overheating issues.

Available for Relocation & Travel

• nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gilly225 wrote: »
    Thank you for both of your responses. Most of the calls I get are usually recruiters from out of state and simply state they found my resume online. A majority of them I can tell English is not their first language.

Would you guys recommend I pass Security+ before applying for anymore jobs?
    The calls have died down and I'm starting to get a bit discouraged.

I am also pasting my resume here for any other advice, thanks!

Overview

• Seeking an employment opportunity in the Information Technology Field.
    • Consistently recognized for hardware troubleshooting skills and adapting to new technical issues.
    • Quick learner with strong working knowledge of software, hardware, networking, operating systems, and security applications.

Education

Radford University, Radford, VA
    Graduation Date: May 2013

BBA College of Business and Economics
    AACSB Accredited, Major: Management
    • Heavy course work in Information Technology field. Experience with problem solving and programming concepts, principles of computer science, and managing technology and innovative ideologies.

Technology Summary

Certifications:
    CompTIA A+/ Actively Seeking Security+

Systems:
    Windows 7/Vista/XP/NT/2000/

Hardware:
    CPU Chipsets/MOBO/RAM/BIOS/Expansion Cards/PSU/SSD/Media

Networking:
    TCP,UDP Ports/Protocols/Wireless standards/Topologies/Tools/Command Line

Additional:
    RAID/Displays/Printers/Laptop Repair/ Mobile Devices/Operational Procedures

IT Experience

• Successfully hand-built multiple advanced systems for individuals of dissimilar skill-sets.
    • Excellent with principles of human-computer interaction. Able to evaluate interactive products and choose best possible result.
    • Skilled in web application development using different technologies and frameworks. Experienced with tracking and cookie management, privacy and integrity issues, security, file sharing, and web services.
    • Hand-built multiple powerful desktop systems.
    • Familiar with multiple hardware components: INTEL/AMD Processing, Flash Memory, Multiple RAM Chip sets, Internal/External Drives, advanced graphics, multiple sized bay-sets, power supplies, cable management, soundcards, heat sinks etc.
    • Ability to translate business into technological fields.
    • Essential strategies with networking issues.
    • Able to troubleshoot/manage process speeds and overheating issues.

Available for Relocation & Travel

you need to look for entry level IT position. also try to get you an intern position you can get some experience there because you don't have any... look for contract positions...

Careerbuilder.com
    Indeed.com
    monster.com
    Dice.com
    ZipRecruiter.com
    Bright.com
    Linkedin.com
    Beyond.com
    techcareers.com
    craigslist.org

Keep applying for jobs don't give up...