Can you teach this old dog new tricks?

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to get back into IT after a LONG hiatus, only to discover my once lifelong CompTIA A+ expired (yes, that's how many years ago w got certified!). Ordered my study guides last night and hope to bang out A+ Net+ and Sec+ within the next three months.

My problem is, I'm not sure where to go from there. I have a B.A. in Psychology, and worked on a HELLdesk for two years before 9/11. I'm hoping to land a position as a Jr. Admin as I am currently stuck in a dead end part time retail job.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
"Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman

Comments

• NotQuiteCertifiedNotQuiteCertified Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess it would depend, a sys admin, or net admin?
    2014 Goals: CCENT [ ] Get Accepted Into University [X]
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless you have recent experience you would likely have to search for a Help Desk position to get back into the IT game again. 12+ years is a long time away in any career but even more so in IT due to the constant changes in technology.

Not all Help Desks are "Hell Desks". I'm sure you'd be able to find a decent one after obtaining the Certs you listed and with prior experience. You can always aim to transfer into an admin role in a few years after getting back up to speed.

Good luck!