Options

Need some advice on Certification Path / Questing if I need A+

BoshyBoshy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Little bit of background. Associates in network security. ~4 years IT experience, haven't worked in IT field in ~3 years.

I've been studying for the A+ test for about a week and a half. I've been doing practice tests & feel confident I can pass it. I have some doubt's about getting the A+ cert though. To me it kind of feels like the A+ is to entry level of a cert.I'm not sure that it would really add anything to the certs I plan on obtaining next; CCNA & Linux+.

I have background in Linux & networking, it was mainly in school & just labs I ran at home. I think I could have the Linux+ in a month & with another month of studying have my CCNA. I'm not really looking for a job right now - If I was A+ would probably make more sense to me.

I just don't know if it would be worth the $376 cost and the yearly cost of $29 of continuation education to keep it up to date. The one thing that kind of kills me is I spent all the time reading & preparing for the test. If I don't take it it'll mostly be for nothing... It was a nice refresher though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm still just figuring all of this out myself. However I would do a couple of job searches. It sounds to me like the things that fit your interest will not require A+. If not I would focus on requirements that they are asking for.

With that said if you feel you need it then do it now while the information has be refreshed already.
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    You may find that employers may want Windows certifications vs A+ but that depends on the jobs available in your area. Look for a positions you'd interview for in the near future and take a look at their requirements.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    with an associates in network security and 4 yrs of experience, I would skip the A+. What do you want to do?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would skip the A+ at this point considering your experience.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    I did the A+ first and it helped me get familiar with the certification process and land a great internship. I'd recommend starting with a relatively easy exam like the A+ or maybe the network+ if that's what you're interested in.