• Options
    jwalk33jwalk33 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok kool, i see what you mean.

Thanks,
    jwalk33
  • Options
    Hi,

Would something like these work as far switches go?

Model number is WS-C3550-24-SMI. The version of the IOS is 12.2(44)SE6 IP Services with web based device manager. Comes with GBICs, and rack mount brackets

Thanks,
    jwalk33
  • Options
    Also I see:

2x Cisco 3500 xl 24 port 10/100 switches ($25 each). yes, no, or heck no lol

Thanks,
    jwalk33
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd get the 3550, personally. And I'd stay away from the 3500XL. The best switches you can get on a budget will be 2950's and 3550's. Now, the 3550 are layer 3, too. So you can use them on CCNP if you decide to go on further with your studies.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Would these work for CCNA:

2950 IOS c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
    2620 IOS c2600-d-mz.122-7b.bin

Thanks.
    jwalk33
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can go here and figure it out for yourself!

Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

Compare the technologies needed against the technologies available and find if the code works.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    My two cents. Do NOT buy hardware until you have read that guide you bought and done some research! It is easy to waste money on buying the wrong hardware and you have to take everything into consideration. How are you going to connect your routers, what cards and what cables do you need. What topology are you going to build? Are you going to use a lab workbook? If so what topology does it use? What IOS do I need and how am I going to get it? You need to know the answers to all of this before spending any money on hardware!

Buying hardware and building a lab is a lot of fun! Having said that it can get in the way of actually learning the material! Your focus needs to be on subnetting and learning the concepts! Labing should come second to reinforce what you are learning!

At least read this before buying anything!
    CCNA Lab II: How Topologies Drive Device Choices

Go here for a shopping list based on the topologies above!
    CCNA Build Lists

Go here to learn about what IOS version you might need
    CCNA Router IOS Features

Go here, it is a free lab workbook and does a good job of showing you the lab topology.
    Free CCNA Workbook

Go here, as it is Cisco Learning network and there is a ton of good info!
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna

Consider using Cisco's Labs. For $79 you get 90 days worth of lab time with lab exercises!
    Cisco Learning Labs

Go here and get the one week free trial and watch the Cisco CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 videos! There are 23:20:03 worth of videos and you can watch them all in a week. I would watch the first one and then watch the 5 subnetting videos over and over until you can get it!!! They start with Speaking Binary! Also he has a video in there about setting us a lab and he covers a little GNS3 in it and it is called Building a CCNA Lab!
    CBT Nuggets

Go here for some Free CCNA videos
    INE

Go to youtube and search for New CCENT and understand the exam just changed!! Learn the difference, learn that ICND1 100-101
    is the new exam and that there is a ton of old CCENT/CCNA stuff on the web! Then search YouTube for CCENT and ICND1 and watch and learn!!!
  • Options
    I have no clue as to what any of the Major releases are, so can you please give me the baseline/minimum IOS ver. so that I can compare please?

Thanks,
    jwalk33
  • Options
    Very very useful and highly appreciated.

Thanks geek4god,
    jwalk33
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    All you need to know is right here. It lists the exams, their topics, what IOS version and feature set covers the exam topics and even gives some example routers that support each!

Go here to learn about what IOS version you might need
    CCNA Router IOS Features
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can go here and figure it out for yourself!

Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

Compare the technologies needed against the technologies available and find if the code works.

Man I know some CCIE who have got lost in there never to return ;)

Having said that if you really want to get in to cisco you got to find your way around it one day, and the sooner you start the better. I think buying some rack space is also a good idea, there are even some free ones around although time is very limited. as Geek4God said, look at the requirement from the topics and get some thing to match. Suggestion dont try to buy the whole lab in one go. Just by one router, learn to log in and set up the basic managment side of things. By the time you do that you will have a better idea what you are up aginst.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Man I know some CCIE who have got lost in there never to return ;)

Having said that if you really want to get in to cisco you got to find your way around it one day, and the sooner you start the better. I think buying some rack space is also a good idea, there are even some free ones around although time is very limited. as Geek4God said, look at the requirement from the topics and get some thing to match. Suggestion dont try to buy the whole lab in one go. Just by one router, learn to log in and set up the basic managment side of things. By the time you do that you will have a better idea what you are up aginst.

I understand, however I'm gone take break been wrecking my mind all day trying to figure out what hardware I need. I admit, this cisco/ccna stuff is a lot different from my MS and Linux studies, when trying to setup lab. A whole new world.

Isn't this IOS ver c2600-d-mz.122-7b.bin, 12.2T ?

Thanks,
    jwalk33
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    out of interest I would go for 12.4 at a min, most of the CCNP labs are all 12.4 and to be honest the price difference is nothing.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Ordered 2 Cisco 1721 running IOS 12.4, and 2 2950s. However when they arrived, I immediately inspected the outer casings and noticed I was given 2x 1700 series routers.

Do I keep these and get another 2950 switch and 1x 1721 router at a discount(actual price difference since 1721s costs more, meaning I paid more for items I received than I should have) price difference, or do I accept the seller's offer 2 replace both 1700 with the actual 1721s that I ordered and paid for? NOTE: Seller willing to do either of the dealings mentioned here. Just hate to **** myself here so asking for a bit of insight.

Eventually I do want 3 routers and 3 switches to experiment(more topologies and lab scenarios, i.e. redundancy) with and possibly use to pursue a CCNP, however this might be some time on down the line towards end of this year, maybe sooner depending on how CCNA R/S goes.

Which lab would you recommend, 2x 1700s, 1x 1721, and 3x 2950s, or 3x 1721s and 3x 2950s?

Also, I'm open to other suggestions, but at a minimal I will have 2x 2950s and 2x 1721s, that is if I choose not to keep the 2x 1700s. Seller will send me correct items if choose to do so at no extra cost to me.

Thanks,
    Jwalk33