Options

Do i need a switch here?

michielstmichielst Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone

I'm a beginner in networking, so this might be a stupid question.

4afbd5d2be934cc56a452dc181231146.png

Do i need a switch to connect PC0/PC1 and the printer0 to the wireless router0.

Also is it possible to connect the Printer1 only to PC0?

I look forward to your reply.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on the router and if it has an integrated switch or enough ports to support the hosts. Usually you would go with a switch there though, integrated or not.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Okay, what about the printer? Can't seem to connect the printer to the pc0 when it's connected to the switch.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best practice would be yes so that you have the flexibility of adding more devices without having to mess with your router. As far as connecting the printer to the PC that's going to come down to what type of printer it is.
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    michielst wrote: »
    Okay, what about the printer? Can't seem to connect the printer to the pc0 when it's connected to the switch.

Is this in packet tracer you are on about or in real life?
  • Options
    Is this in packet tracer you are on about or in real life?
    Packet tracer
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since it's only packet tracer, then I wouldn't really worry about configuring it. In the real world, mostly all printers are networked through an ethernet connection with a static IP.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    michielst wrote: »
    Packet tracer

I don't think it would let you in PT, but in real life you could certainly attach it to a PC and share it.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it would let you in PT, but in real life you could certainly attach it to a PC and share it.
    That scares me. In the real world, you should put a static IP on that beasty and install it on each PC/Laptop. OR add it to a print server and share it that way.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    That scares me. In the real world, you should put a static IP on that beasty and install it on each PC/Laptop. OR add it to a print server and share it that way.

No in real life you should leave all your printers on DHCP. Create reservations on your scope to the MAC addresses of your printers. Boom! never touch a printer again unless NIC card goes out. That's how I always rolled son. lol
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »

Hey he asked if it was possible. ;)
  • Options
    No in real life you should leave all your printers on DHCP. Create reservations on your scope to the MAC addresses of your printers. Boom! never touch a printer again unless NIC card goes out. That's how I always rolled son. lol

Best practice! Funny because my office is the only one in my firm that is set up like that...wonder why that is? :)
  • Options
    Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^^^^^^^. Love me some DHCP. Might do a lab on it after I read a bit more on ACLS just for the lawlz
    2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]