Options

MCSA or CCNA?

DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Member Posts: 108
I need your opinion. I have been studying for MCSA and am two tests away from getting it. I plan on taking the 70-290 in January. As of late, i've been feeling really motivated to persue CCNA with the hopes of someday achiving CCVP since I work with CallManager on a daily basis. At my current pace I won't have MCSA until next summer. I know what my potential is and I feel that if I keep at my current pace that it will be years before I even get CCNA. Do you thing I should get my MCSA first before persuing CCNA or should I take the knowledge i currently have and drop my MCSA studies and go straight to CCNA?
icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't drop your MCSA studies but I might take a sidestep and get the CCNA if you have a passion for it. Pursue the MCSA after that. :)
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    1Ste1Ste Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you already half way through MCSA, why stop now, I think its easier to just finish that then go onto CCNA. Why stop when your almost there and start something new, also why not study for both at the same time, im studyign A+ and reading up on CCNA at same time.
    Working for Network+, Server+, CCNA, Security+, CCNP, CCIE. MCSE.

Bachelors Degree in computer information Systems.

Wanna help?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I definately think you should push to finish up your MCSA. You're already, what, two tests in? There's nothing stopping you from beginning your work with the CCNA material in the meantime. It might even be beneficial, making a "casual" start on the Cisco stuff while you're making the serious push for the Microsoft cert. That way, once you're done with MCSA, you have that cert, and you're ready to move on from it, having "finished" that area. (I say "finished" for the sake of the cert, but we all know you're never "finished" learning.)

This way, when you begin getting serious about CCNA, it won't be a completely new beast. You'll already have done some casual reading, and this will be some familiar ground, in the midst of what can be some very overwhelming material. You won't feel like it's all Greek, at least not right away. It might also be good to have the CCNA book handy to avert your attention to, every once in a while when you feel like the MCSA stuff is hurting your head. Gives you a chance to get away, do something else, without feeling like you're slacking.

That's my take on it, anyway. I recommend you take the MCSA first, so you can have that finished and you don't have to worry about it later. Even if you never touch another Microsoft network, it couldn't really hurt to have it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Member Posts: 108
    Thanks for all of the great advice! Maybe i'll take a break from MCSA from time to time and brush up on CCNA. Lately its been difficult to focus on cert study between work and family. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    1Ste1Ste Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lol that why you be like me and not have family. :P
    Working for Network+, Server+, CCNA, Security+, CCNP, CCIE. MCSE.

Bachelors Degree in computer information Systems.

Wanna help?
  • Options
    ziggyziggy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DaPunnisher.........Good Luck with that,

I received my CCNA cert in June 2005, and have now begun taking the path towards MCSA.

I kinda like Cisco better so far.

:D