Options

Taking 70-686 Exam Friday

chrisvetekchrisvetek Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm nervous! Watching CBT nuggets twice, been studying the Microsoft training kit, and haven't taken the 70-680 yet.
I've also bookmarked technet stuff and read up on that, and trying to understand everything. Anyways, thanks for reading.
Anyone have advice? I'm going to run and go to the climb gym on Thursday to calm my nerves.

Comments

• Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    chrisvetek wrote: »
    I'm nervous! Watching CBT nuggets twice, been studying the Microsoft training kit, and haven't taken the 70-680 yet.
    I've also bookmarked technet stuff and read up on that, and trying to understand everything. Anyways, thanks for reading.
    Anyone have advice? I'm going to run and go to the climb gym on Thursday to calm my nerves.

You haven't taken the 680 yet and you're taking the 686??? Sorry, don't mean to make your nerves worse or anything. It's just that most people barely pass the 680, let alone the 686. Personally, I found the 680 to be rather easy (but I think I over-prepared), and took 3 attempts to pass the 686.

You really should have taken the 680 first, since the 686 builds on that material... But I'm sure plenty of people have passed it without taking the 680. Standard rules for taking an exam apply here; get a good night sleep, eat a good breakfast (think PROTEIN), try not to cram a lot the night before (Unless you are absolutely sure this method will work for you. Usually it just stresses people out more, and makes them think of all the crap they haven't learned...), arrive early to the testing center, so you have time to calm your nerves. And overall just relax, it's not the end of the world if you fail an exam. Just try again.

Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for the 70-680 and plan to take the exam on Thursday. I've watched all the CBT nuggets videos, all the professor messer videos (and took over 100 pages of hand-written notes) and have been going over Don Poulton's book and Technet. I still feel as though I won't pass.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I agree with the above poster. I think you're underestimating the power of Microsoft in this case...
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    I think I remember reading somewhere where you don't have to know the 680 stuff to pass the 686 stuff, although they are both needed for the MCSA, which I hear is ending Jan 31 anyway, so it doesn't matter much. The 680 is the details and the 686 is the architecture, with some details as well. I have the 680 book so I'm going to try to fill in some blanks with that tonight and tomorrow, then do light review on Thursday.
  • Options
    Well, maybe we'll both pass. Hope so! Good luck!
  • Options
    Regardless I do wish you luck. Please come back and let us know how you did and what your thoughts were about the exam!

2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    2 days now before my test. I reviewed application compatibility and deployment today because I was weak on that last night's practice test run. I feel pretty good about the whole thing but I think application deployment is still my weakest link right now. Considering I started out with 686 and not 680, I will be pumped if I can pull this off.
  • Options
    I hope you pass! Let us know how it goes.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will be very interested in hearing your results. I want to be an encouragement to you, so I am wishing you happy testing.

Please post back
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    I feel better today after spending some time going back over Application stuff.
    If they ask 70-680 questions I haven't studied that, although I think in covering
    the 686 material, I just naturally was curious at some of the more detailed aspects
    of some click throughs, so we'll see. I will post back!:)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best of luck hope you pass!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Getting a little worried, I've been going over the 680 material to "fill in the details"
    the 686 leaves out, and there's a lot. The key I guess, is to filter out the stuff
    enough just to know what I need to know for the 686 without getting too little or too much info
    at the last minute here.
  • Options
    Not worried, I got a 586. I'll do better next time, I'll know what to expect a little more about how the tests work.
  • Options
    Better luck next time icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    Thank you your comments have all been much appreciated and very uplifting. :)icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Signed up for Transcender help this time.:D
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What does the exam focus on?
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    What does the exam focus on?
    It focuses on Windows 7 deployment, image creation, group policy troubleshooting, and administrative tools.
  • Options
    Also taking the 70-680 on Jan 30 in a last ditch effort to beat the deadline before they end the additional certifications earned for the 70-680 and 70-686 passes.
  • Options
    Good luck man! Let us know how it goes!

• Options
    Passed the 70-686 today!
  • Options
    Passed the 70-686 today!
    Congratulations :)

• Options
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif

• Options
    Hey thanks! Had a good weekend. :)
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Niice! I'm taking my exam before the 30th as well. Trying to test my luck and pass it before the title goes away.

Not sure if I'll pass, but at least I'll give it a try
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Guess it takes awhile to get a packet from Microsoft and an email about passing and what to do next?