WINS Replication

Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
Hey i have a couple of points regarding WINS that i would appreciate some help with if possible please. Have a DC and member server both running Server 2003 and WINS.

(1) When WINS was setup on the DC it immediately recorded entries such as _msbrowse_, computer name file server and a few other entries. However after setup of WINS on the member server no entries were recorded atall. Surely this is not right !! icon_confused.gif

(2) On the member server i setup the DC as a replication partner (push/pull) and set the push threshold to 1 for testing purposes but again no results have been recorded on the member server. Does anyone know what i am doing wrong here? I have tried to automatically force replication but still no results are recorded

thanks

Comments

• Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
    OK, i found out the problem; i found an event ID 4102 in the event viewer n discovered it was because replication was not setup properly. Would like something cleared up tho please:

(1) If i have 3 WINS servers setup to provide fault tolerance would i make each server a push/pull replication of each other server or have A a push/pull partner with B and B a push/pull partner with C?

(2) Microsoft recommend that you use either push/pull partner replication or a simple setup with one server push and the other pull. Am i right in thinking that although this will eventually fully replicate and have both wins servers consistent, the convergence time can lead to name resolution problems! I jus need this cleared up, thanks :D