Options

CCNA Starter Help

cegha0004cegha0004 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, New to the forums because i'm interested in getting a CCNA. I have a few questions that I could use some help with.

To start with, I am 24 years old. I have always had an interest in computers. The first computer(s) I remember playing with were Pentium 1s with like only a few hundred mhz speed with Windows 95. I always wanted a career with computers, but just couldn't figure out what. Over the last few years I have developed a fascination with the networking aspect of computers. Currently I have a pfSense machine serving as a router that i've been playing with for the past 3 years or so. I love to play with the software to see how networks work.

I have done lots of work with it such as setting up IPv4 subnets with multiple switches present (small consumer grade), configuring IPv6 via IPv4 tunneling, setup of IPS/IDS via snort, configuring NAT, & managing of firewall rules, to name a few. I also run a Windows 2008 server box which runs a few game servers such as Bnet game servers, Teamspeak 3 VOIP server, web server, file server, etc. I've also played with ubuntu server & doing some command line work on that. So I do have some kind of background in networking.

I am interested in looking to get a start at a job in computer networking, I guess it would be called. The CCNA looks like a good place to start. I really hate schools & classes. I do not like to listen to people talk nonstop. I can not tolerate it. With that said, I have read about how everything works. I am interested in self studying via books & hardware/equipment. Since I have some networking background I feel I would be able to do the single test route.

I have a few random questions though that I would like answers on.

How likely/easily is it to get a beginning job in computer networking with only a CCNA cert? I have no college degree. Would you really need a college degree in addition to certs to get a job?

I would prefer to own my equipment rather than use sims. I already have a rack to put all equipment on. I happened to find some 2 local people clearing out CCNA equipment, & would prefer to get the best equipment I can for the money. I've read from the "How To Study Thread" & want a standard lab, 3 switches, 3 routers.

Person A has:
ws-c3550-24pwr-smi used works fine looks very good

ws-c2950t-24 used looks good

cisco 1841 with wic 1dsu-t1 v2

i also have 2 cisco 2811 routers
one has 4 cards
vwic 2mft-t1
vwic 1mft-t1
wic 1b-u v2
vic 4fxs/did

the other one has 2 cards
wic 1dsu-t1 v2
vic2-4fxo

Listed $450 for all. i don't know if I need all of that or if that is a good price. The 3550 switch i've read you want EMI. I've read that can be flashed onto the SMI model. Is that correct? What is the downside of having only one 3550 & two 2950ts compared to three 3550s? Also same with routers, what is downside of only one 1841 paired with two 2811s compared to having three 1841s? Do I need all those add on cards? Would this lab support Frame Relay for labs? Person DOES NOT mention if cables are included. If not what cables would I need? Does not mention IOS version. I'm sure I could ask though. I understand you want equipment to support 12.4, correct? This equipment I believe should support it, correct?

Person B has:
Cisco 2501 Router with 16 MB of Flash and 16 MB of Memory maxed out. The IOS is 12.3 and the Router comes with a D-Link AUI Ethernet Transceiver.
Cisco 2610XM Router with 32 MB of Flash and 128 MB of Memory maxed out. One WIC-1T Card; One DCE/DTE Cable; One NM-1E Card. The IOS is 12.4 Enterprise.
Cisco 2610 Router with 32 MB of Flash and 64 MB of Memory. One WIC-1T Card; One DCE/DTE Cable. The IOS is 12.3 Enterprise.
Cisco 831 Soho Security Router. The IOS is 12.4 Security; 32 MB of Flash; 32 MB of Memory.
D-Link DIR 628 Soho Router.

All Routers come with power cables. This kit also includes 2 USB to RS 32 Cables, 1 Console Cable, 1 Cross-Over Cable, and 1 Ethernet Cable.

From reading i've done this equipment doesn't seem as good as the other guy, but he is only asking $275 for all. Should I mix and match any equipment from person a and/or b, or mix and match with ebay equipment?

Also my rack came with a Nortel 48 port gigabit switch, model Baystack 5510-48T. I have not had time to play with this yet, but know it is a nice advanced switch. I was planning to play with this & my pfsense. Is there anything this could be used to do in the network to reduce costs? Not sure if this could replace another switch or if everything needs to be Cisco components?

I see the recommended reading is "CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Updated 3rd Edition - Wendell Odom". Should I read the book before buying anything or do I need equipment & the book at the same time? I'm confused where the labs are I do. I'm assuming the labs that use the equipment are contained in the book?

Anything else I should know? If I think of anything else I will add it in here. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    cegha0004 wrote: »
    How likely/easily is it to get a beginning job in computer networking with only a CCNA cert? I have no college degree. Would you really need a college degree in addition to certs to get a job?

It will be difficult to get a job straight into networking with no prior IT experience at all. Your best bet is to try and get on at a NOC or customer support for an ISP etc. Not glamorous work by any means, but you need some kind of start. A degree is not needed, but obviously the more you have to offer up the better. Keep in mind you will be competing for these entry level jobs against fresh graduates.

On the equipment stuff that is something people like to jump into, but I suggest you start laying your foundation first then knowing what kind of equipment you will need will be more obvious to you. Basically understand you will need 3-4 routers and switches. You seem to have a good idea of the common models. To study for a Cisco certification you are going to need Cisco equipment.

I know you said you'd prefer real equipment, but I'd take a serious look at GNS3 when getting started. You can get some exposure to the CLI while you get more comfortable with the types of hardware. You can save yourself from spending money on useless crap that way.

cegha0004 wrote: »
    I see the recommended reading is "CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Updated 3rd Edition - Wendell Odom". Should I read the book before buying anything or do I need equipment & the book at the same time? I'm confused where the labs are I do. I'm assuming the labs that use the equipment are contained in the book?

That is not the current version of the exam. Start here - CCNA Routing and Switching - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems to see the exams and options available to obtain the CCNA. Wendell Odom's books are the best source, just make sure you get the ones for the right exam! These books do not usually contain labs though. At least not thorough scenario based labs. I've always just made the labs up myself (another thing you will be able to do once you start laying your foundation with study).

My advice to you is to order the books and start reading. From there with some more research you will be able to navigate your way though what equipment you need to apply what you are learning.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would encourage you to wait on purchasing most of the equipment.
    I agree a hands on lab is important and I have been gathering parts for about 4 months. However I still do everything in GNS3 and Packet tracer. Then duplicate it on real equipment.
  • Options
    cegha0004cegha0004 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help so far guys. I guess that was the previous version of the book. I did find the newest version, 200-120. I think I will order a copy off amazon this week.

I also found Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab

It looks like this person hosts a free cisco lab you can log into & play with. I did log in briefly to just look at the interface. Looks interesting. I'm sure the book will explain more.
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    I'd go through the book first and make sure it's really what you wan to do. That will help you understand how the equipment works when you get it. Labs are best part of studying for the CCNA, the worst part is memorizing vocabulary.
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd recommend you get Todd Lamle's study guide, a new version is already available for the new exam (200-120 Composite exam). Study the concepts first then start configuring, packet tracer or gns3 would be enough for ccna but since you'll get real equipment, that's better.

Don't forget to take down notes while you are reading the book :)
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I would buy switches and connect them to GNS3 since router emulation is almost exactly like the real thing, but switch support is very limited.