Lab Exam (RS) booked for March 14, 2014 in Sydney, Study pals welcome:) !

CarlBangCarlBang Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am in Melbourne, happy to team up anyone who are also preparing for the lab exam:)

Comments

• CarlBangCarlBang Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have assembled a full rack of equipments and not relying on DNS3. I think the money spent is worth it because I think with real routers( DNS3 still can notdo switches?) you gain all sorts real world experiences.

Happy to verify any configuration setting for guys who are studying for labs:)
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    What is DNS3? Also, I checked last week and all labs were booked untill V5, how did you get a spot?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
    Sorry GNS3, typo

Have you checked Sydney? In Sydney there are plenty of seats.even next month
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    Doubt he's up for flying in from Montreal ROFL!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to you. Did you assemble a rack topology to mirror a vendor or did you choose to DIY when it came to lab scenarios? I have enough kit to almost mirror INE (6x1841, 6x3560) but I stopped at replicating FR, given it will be out by v5 and I won't be ready before end of the year I reckon.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with GNS3 but its definitely worth not discounting. I've been using a combination of rack tokens and GNs3 and for the strictly L3 labs GNS3 is 100% there. I used to maintain a 1:1 simulation of key parts of my prod network in GNS3 and changes I design/lab in GNS3 would slide into prod 1:1 (as long as feature is supported of course, its no good for the fancy stuff but hey BGP is BGP! LOL).
    Yeah I have 4x 3560s, a couple of 2801s and rest are 3640s and 3620s. I basically follows the Cisco 360 blue prints to practise. I used GNS3 before but had my PC crashed many times so I opted to get real boxes. assembling, cabling and upgrading them were great fun and really I got all sorts problems for me overcome so that's also CCIE exercises I would say:)
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I tried seriously labbing with virtual stuff and it broke within 20 minutes.

I opted to buy a physical lab in the end
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    Well I've worked my way through RIP and EIGRP (INE WB1) using GNS3 with no concerns. But i have a very stable GNS3 setup, not sure if its luck or you guys are doing something wrong (check your IOS perhaps). I don't see any issues using GNS3 for routing labs.

But yes for switching/L2 modules I'm using rack rentals and I'll be using more rentals for TS labs. I bought a heap of 50% off tokens during the recent sale.

I use my rack more for directly work related purposes and/or for specific issues than trying to follow a preset program (INE IPexpert etc.) maybe I shouldn't have gone so far but I have been sniping good ebay deals for a few years now so I thought eff it might as well max it out :)

I jsut started at a CIsco gold partner, when the right people get back from holidays I'll hassle them to see if I'm allowed to use the CCIE ASET virtual labs! (I can click on them but I don't want ot get in trouble in case its chargeable LOL)
  • MAVIMAVI Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CarlBang wrote: »
    I am in Melbourne, happy to team up anyone who are also preparing for the lab exam:)

Yes - I am ready.. based in sydney. amir.maavia is my skype ID. I am new on this particular site.... so how do we keep in touch.
  • movienmovien Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey carlbang,

Could please give you r contact info as I am based in sydney preparing for CCIE. Would like to know some information.
    Thank you
  • movienmovien Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CarlBang wrote: »
    Sorry GNS3, typo

Have you checked Sydney? In Sydney there are plenty of seats.even next month

Could you please give your contact info, I'm based in sydney preparing for CCIE and would to like seek information regarding CCIE. thank you
    Well, failed the attempt this time.icon_sad.gif. Totally underestimated the trb shooting section. Need to sit back to practice more for V5 now
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sorry to hear it, you are a very big man to shrug it off so fast and tell us all. You'll nail it next time dude!
    Thanks, I really hope so:)

Some information for the first timers. Don't even try unless you think you know all the networking stuff(R&S) very thoroughly. The lab is so labor intensive that I really had no time to think, I managed to completed the config lab but had no time for final check. And the Putty terminals are not as quick as the one on your own computer. Does any one know how to make the Putty terminals slower in response?
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So it's putty in the lab, used to be securecrt, what a step backwards!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    slower type rate I noticed when I had a Linux rig. I was a newb on Linux, and I thought what the heck is this slow type rate about. it only happened with terminal server, not command line just terminal emulator, all of them / putty,hyper term, tera term, crt...