Cisco IOS Licencing. How much ?

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Team,
I am reading on a post from another CCNA fourm about Cisco IOS Licencing and I wanted to confirm here that when you
purchase a Cisco router or switch used, the IOS license does not transfer in the sale. So to be in license compliance with Cisco, you should purchase a license. If that's the case how much is a license for IOS 12.4 or IOS 15 ?

I cannot seem to pin this answer down. Can someone advise ?

Thanks
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    Your not buying the iOS per say, your buying a SMARTnet service contract that has software updates included with them. I just bough a SMARTnet contract for my ASA 5505 and for 8x5 support with NBD replacements it was $100 for a year. I got mine from CDW its a pretty straight forward process. When you have a current SMARTnet contract for the device you can download any version of the iOS that is compatible with your device or that you have licensing for.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    Your not buying the iOS per say, your buying a SMARTnet service contract that has software updates included with them. I just bough a SMARTnet contract for my ASA 5505 and for 8x5 support with NBD replacements it was $100 for a year. I got mine from CDW its a pretty straight forward process. When you have a current SMARTnet contract for the device you can download any version of the iOS that is compatible with your device or that you have licensing for.

While this is true in theory...Cisco makes it as big a PITA as possible. In my case, I bought 8x5xNBD on my ASA 5505 also. Once I received my contract # I entered it in my CCO account. The page said it would take 48 hours to be added. A month and a half later it still hadn't been added. I contacted Cisco (Live Chat) and was told I wasn't "entitled" since my account didn't match the "company name" on the SmartNet (What company name?). I finally managed to get them to add it after changing my "company name" on my CCO account from "Self" to my own name, but for some reason it still won't let me download any ASA software.

Cisco assumes their customers are all going to be businesses and they make it a royal PITA for an individual. I, for example, am not even able to manage my own SmartNet contracts because I am "not the SAMT Administrator." You would think that since I bought it in my own name they would have automatically made me the Administrator or at least let me specify one. I'll probably have to fight it out with them again just to get myself made the Administrator of my own contracts.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]