Need advice for 802

frostferretfrostferret Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I have been studying for the CompTia A+ for about 2 months. I passed my 801 yesterday through a combination of Professor Messer's videos and lurking on these forums :)

On 14th Jan, I will be sitting for the 802 and am feeling unsure. I don't really have an IT background apart from dabbling in it over the years. And I noticed the 802 has a lot of Windows related stuff. I have not used Windows on any of my personal machines since 2008 (Minimal Ubuntu 12.04 with XFCE here currently :) ). The ancient laptop I'm using can't handle virtualization well. And I don't have easy access to Windows machines right now.

If anyone has any advice regarding things like which topics to focus more on or things that will trip me up, please share. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Comments

• DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    I would also like to know what to expect as well. I've been studying the Messer videos and using the Exam Cram along with the Myers book. It helped me for 801, but I'm not sure how 802 will go.
  • UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In 802 from what I can remember (took the test back in March). Expect 2 or 3 simulations. One of which for me was setting up a wifi connection on a cellphone, and another setting up different Raid types. The rest of the questions where pretty standard, and as long as you did well on 801. 802 shouldn't be much harder. Just make sure you don't just know the technical terms, but also how to use them. Remember your basic ports and setting up home networks.
  • BoshyBoshy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the 802 yesterday. Be sure to know your DOS commands and what the switches mean .e.g ping -t or defrag /c. Make sure you know the difference between windows 7/Vista/XP control panel & the different unique features/names that each OS has. There was some wireless questions & the majority of the others was basic windows trouble shooting
  • earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Boshy wrote: »
    I just passed the 802 yesterday. Be sure to know your DOS commands and what the switches mean .e.g ping -t or defrag /c. Make sure you know the difference between windows 7/Vista/XP control panel & the different unique features/names that each OS has. There was some wireless questions & the majority of the others was basic windows trouble shooting

Preciesly! 802 focuses on DOS commands (ipconfig/rescan/renew/flushdns etc)
    > Know the windows features <
    I can also agree with Boshy that this exam concentrates on a big majority of troubleshooting issues, so be prepared.

In my opinion, its not nearly as challenging as the 801, but that's my two cents. Good luck!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • frostferretfrostferret Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Ukimokia,Boshy and earonw49. I'll allocate more revision time for the areas you've all mentioned. :)