CCNA: Routing and Switching or CCNA: Security?

danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
I didn't realize I had to take the CCNA Security to get the CCNP Security, I thought a prerequisite could have been the CCNA Routing and Switching. With that being said, I had already compiled materials to study the CCNA R&S, both of Odom's new CCNA books, the new CBT nugget videos from Jeremy, packet tracer 6.x, practice exams, etc. I attained my Sec+ and want to continue down the IT Security path. My dilemma is should I stop studying for the CCNA R&S and switch gears to the CCNA Security exam right now and also forget about taking the CCNA R&S altogether? What do you guys and gals think? Thanks your advice is greatly appreciated.:)
I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None

Comments

• CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you have to at least have your CCENT to become CCNA Security certified.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCENT is required for CCNA:Sec. From what I've seen/heard the CCNA is now front-loaded, so if you get CCENT you might as well go all the way and grab the full CCNA.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    For some reason everyone wants to do security these days. Also, everyone wants to start hacking right away. Security is something that requires a foundation and other non-security knowledge. To be a good security engineer, having a deeper understanding of how networks work si vital. You can only benefit from doing R&S. Not to mention that you already have the materials. Don't think of how you can get there faster as this won't be the optimal way.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With the new CCNA path, you only need your CCENT & you can head directly and do your CCNA Security. The new CCENT is quite deep compared to the earlier certification. Should you take the CCNA R&S? My opinion is yes because I think everyone should have that level of understanding of how routing works.

Master of Puppets is right on the money. To be a good security guy, you need to be a IT generalist & then venture into security. You also need to be somewhat proficient in Linux because nearly all the tools are developed for Linux.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd agree with the Associate level Route and Switch, as was said, to secure the network, you must understand the network.
  • White_WolfWhite_Wolf Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You would need the CCENT or the CCNA to sit for the security one. That being said, it's worth it to get both if you can because they complement each other.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    How can you begin to secure a network when you currently do not understand how a network flows and functions?

You would do yourself a favor by having a CCNP R/S knowledge before certifying yourself in Security. I would focus on R/S while learning and working with Security type things at work then when it's time to certify yourself you will be in a better position to not only be certified but be able to actually provide value and experience to an organization instead of just having a piece of paper.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?