Options

CCENT vs N+ differences

mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed the Network+ and will soon be working on the CCENT then CCNA.

What study tips would you all suggest? I'm wondering what the main differences between the N+ and CCENT will be. Aren't they on a similar level? I'd love to be efficient and be able to focus on the differences.

Thanks
Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
In Progress: ​Not sure...

Comments

• Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    Good question that i'm curious about, and was about to look into it. I'm still on the fence on which I should do first, since I really havent started studying yet.
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Network+ is a vendor neutral certification which teaches you basic networking fundamentals and knowledge including: ports, cabling, protocols, and the OSI model to name a few. CCENT does share some similar content to Network+ but it's more focused on Cisco configuration/commands and assumes basic networking knowledge when you begin. My recommendation is to start the Network+ to build a solid foundation and fill any gaps before you start the CCENT.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N+ I passed in a month and CCENT took me 4 months with a fail in that time. It was a lot harder in my opinion because you are learning an OS where N+ was just Networking basics. I was really glad I took N+ though. Good foundation.

I used Lammle's study guide and CBT Nuggets to study. Buying a home lab helps (3 routers/2 switches) as it helps put a face to all the theory.

Download Packet Tracer too, and Lab loads. I can't stress this enough. I don't think, well I know I didn't lab enough before my first exam. I would spend 2 solid weeks labbing after you finish the theory. Maybe more.

Some people recommend doing the BOSON exams to practice, but they didnt really help me, sort of luls you in to a false sense of security because doing the same exams a few times you get good at them and remember the questions so pass easily. I would skip because they cost the amount of the actual exam anyway!
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did CCENT first now Net+, Net+ concepts are a breeze and you just have to remember a lot of acronyms, when and why things are used and sometimes specifications of particular items, say its a inch deep and mile wide. CCENT is more of a well; focused and deep I enjoyed reading it much more.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management