Options

Problem with a network address question in CCNA course

Acknowledged74Acknowledged74 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Having trouble with the problem below, well I think I've correctly worked out 1-3 but not sure how to go about 4. I would appreciate any advice.

You are configuring two PCs for your network. PC-A is given an IP address of 192.168.1.18, and PC-B is given an IP address of 192.168.1.33. Both PCs receive a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240.

1. What is the network address for PC-A? 192.168.1.16

2. What is the network address for PC-B? 192.168.1.32

3. Will these PCs be able to communicate directly with each other? Yes

4. What is the highest address that can be given to PC-B that allows it to be on the same network as PC-A?

Comments

• Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    It seems to be asking for the last usable address in PC-A's network. Since you've already figured out that PC-A is in the 192.168.1.16/28 network, and we know that the broadcast address is the last usable address in a subnet (in this case, 192.168.1.31), then the highest address that can be given to PC-B that allows it to be on the same network as PC-A is 192.168.1.30.

Also, your answer to #3 is probably incorrect, since we are not told of any router or layer 3 switch in this situation. These two PCs will not be able to communicate directly unless a change is made to put them in the same subnet.
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Is that a Pearson question? For clarity I would have worded question 3 and 4 as such:

3. Will these PCs be able to communicate directly with each other if no routing was in place?

4. If you wanted to move PCB to PCA's network, what is the last available IP address it could be given using the same subnet and mask?

Or something. I just don't like the wording of them at all! Lol.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are assigning the network address of 192.168.1.16 to PC-A then I think the last available IP would be 192.168.1.30 since 31 would be the broadcast. If I'm incorrect, someone please correct me. Been a while since I've done subnetting!