Options

Console timeout problems

discobiscuitsdiscobiscuits Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just started studying for the CCENT and have purchased a 2610, 2611XM and 2950 to do some practice.

So far I have connected to all devices using the console port and a prolific based serial to usb converter.

I can connect to all devices using putty, however after about 5 minutes all seem to timeout. Basically the console freezes can type, or enter any thing etc. To reset I have to un plug USB and reload putty, which then brings me back to the devices therefore I know its not a device issue also as its the same for all 3.

I have tried, t diff PCs both with win7.
Tried tera term, and same thing
tried new drives for usb to serial.
set the exec-timeout to inifinte on the devices

All i can think is that the console cable is dud or the serial to USB is.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or can help. Would a faulty cable cause this timeout after approx 5 mins?

Comments

• Options
    FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    is the USB port timing out, dropping power due to inactivity?

Something to do with power management on the computer?

Just a thought?
  • Options
    Hey Futura

Just tried changing the win7 usb power settings and disabling the selective suspending settings but now luck

I've also tried adjusting the com port latency in device manager but that didn't help either.

Although it does seem like an idling problem
  • Options
    Cant see the cables being an issue, or else i don't think it would work at all. i'm thinking.

Maybe you could set something up on the local pc and connect to the local host via telnet or ssh to 127.0.0.1 and see if that times out.

interesting issue! for sure.
  • Options
    Im not sure if the 127.0.0.1 is important? But I managed to assign an ip address to the routers fa0/0 and hooked it up to my home network. Connected via telent using putty and everything is fine! Have been connected 20 mins with no timeout or lag, whilst the console connection died after a few minutes, just sits there unresponsive.

Interesting and annoying! Tried 2 PCs and all routers and switches have the same problem
  • Options
    the 127.0.0.1 was just to see if the software was timing out or something.

Well at least your up and running, good news!.

Maybe an access server 2509 or 2511 maybe useful for your needs.

Good luck with CCENT!
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco devices usually time out after 5 mins of inactivity. Have you typed in no exec-timeout under the console line ? That command will stop it from timing out.