Options

RHCSA: rent a lab possible?

xyzoomxyzoom Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm studying for my RHCSA. Can't afford/arrange a course here in Minneapolis, MN US.
I admin a remote server running CentOS 5, which I can use for some study.. I take it I'll be needing a lab setup do do the KVM study (I have the Jang book for RHCSA/RHCE).

I wonder what I can try to arrange (that doesn't cost $) to do the labs?

Thank you in advance (and incidentally which forum here is good for RHCSA?)

Rob.

Comments

• Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    You don't need to rent anything, just use CentOS and VirtualBox to create a machine you can practice on for free. All you need is a decent PC.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Completely agree with JaneDoe, fire up a virtual machine in VirtualBox (or something similar) and work away through the exam objectives on that.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Isn't CentOS basically RedHat but without all the branding?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have both of Jang's books? If so, the second one contains the vm's that are needed (three of them) to set up a lab of your own.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thank you all for the answers.
    I have a server (remote) that I admin, running CentOS 5. At home I have a Macbook Pro on which I have Virtual Box and can have it boot CentOS 5.

I'm just about to dive into the Jang book "RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide (Exams EX200 & EX300), 6th Edition". Much of the material will be familiar to me, but I am updating my knowledge in order to achieve the RHCSA certification.
    What is Jang's second book?
    Yes, CentOS is essentially RedHat Enterprise Linux without the branding. It's also known as a "rebuild" Linux.
    I think I'll have to examine the differences between RH 5 (which I have as CentOS 5) and RH 6 (which I don't have at the moment); RH 6 is the basis for the current RHCSA exam.
    So if I understand JaneDoe and Kinet1c correctly, I'm probably ok with what I have (correct me if wrong).
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Michael Jang's second book is a companion to the one you have: RHCSA/RHCE Redhat Linux Certification Practice Exams with Virtual Machines.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Here is everything you need to study for your RHCSA exam: Download CentOS and Virtual Box
  • Options
    Thank you all.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I forgot to mention, as well as virtualbox, perhaps try out the AWS free tier. You can get CentOS servers there for free. Very low power but I can't imagine you requiring much processing power.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    will take a look, thanks.
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    I forgot to mention, as well as virtualbox, perhaps try out the AWS free tier. You can get CentOS servers there for free. Very low power but I can't imagine you requiring much processing power.

AWS has a RHEL free tier instance
  • Options
    grrasgrras Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Xyzoom, Yes you can rent a lab for exam practice. actually exam environment is different from regular practice. for exam practice you need instructor server.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is a fairly old thread. No need to grave dig.