Options

VPN for CME lab

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Hi!

I would like to connect two CME routers over the internet, would 2 2621 routers be up to this task?

I have two 28xx series routers running CME, each router with a 3550 poe switch + cisco voip phones. I would like to make a VPN tunnel to connect two routers running CME at two different physical locations to make some test calls.

Any tips or suggestions or guides you can point me to for this task?

Thanks
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not entirely sure that a 28xx router can support a VPN tunnel across the internet. Though, in my experience we (where I work) always use an ASA 5505 to VPN two sites together.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The 2800 or 2600 will be able to set up an IPSEC VPN as long as you have the right feature set.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd bag the 2600s and do everything on the 2800s.

Check this out:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/21950
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Thanks, downloaded that pdf and will check it out. I didn't think you could run CME and also establish router to router vpn w/o additional devices!

So each router will run CME as they currently do, and also ipsec site to site vpn? How would you "connect" or establish the s2s vpn and keep it running ? Do I just mirror the s2s ipsec vpn config from that pdf and establish it on two routers?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    How would you "connect" or establish the s2s vpn and keep it running ? Do I just mirror the s2s ipsec vpn config from that pdf and establish it on two routers?

You can use either command line or CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional). As for the actual configuration your best bet is to follow some kind of guide. There are plenty of them out there if you do a Google search. You should also look into NAT-T (NAT Traversal) unless both sites have business class internet (Dedicated Public IP Addresses).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Will do! Found this document with some good examples. I guess what I'll do, is play with establishing a connection and dial-peers locally with two CME routers and then go from there.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/srnd/design/guide/multcme.pdf

That reminds me, I do have a business account through work, maybe I can get a couple dedicated ip addresses as well...would be nice for labbing.