Options

Computer Networking and Security

NSENSE Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I want to take a class called, "Computer Networking and Security" and I wanted to know if there's any computer "skills or knowledge" I guess you could call it that I should know before taking the class. The page for the class doesn't specify. I do have experience with web page designing and basic computer skills since I play PC games. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Z3-MasterdZ3-Masterd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're just wanting to do this for the sake of knowledge or personal interest, you should check on auditing the class. Save you some money.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    NSE wrote: »
    The page for the class doesn't specify.

That is a warning right there. I suggest contacting the educational institution and find out what will be taught and how rigorous it will be.
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    I would NOT take a class that has not a outline or SYLLABUS, basically ……they gave the class a fancy name to get the $$$$ and you will not learn anything from the class nor be able to test out on A+/Network+ when the class is over. That is using my psychic powers
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    What kind of institution is the class at, and what department is it in? Are you a full time student there already, so the class would be free for you? Does the class have a number? A 100 level class may not have skills listed for a reason while a class with higher number assumes you come in with more knowledge.
  • Options
    M3CodyM3Cody Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took a class like this about a year ago at a community college. Thinking I would learn something beneficial. I was ahead of the class, and really most of that low level classes is covered in the A+ Certification. If you want to do it for the hands on experience sure do it, but it isn't anything you cant learn yourself in a book.
  • Options
    FidelityFidelity Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If this is an Upper Division course it will most likely be an ethical hacking class. This means you will need to know basic networking, virtual machines, linux, and scripting (typically Python).

If it is lower division it is probably introductory and will be teaching concepts and any practical application will have your hand held through it.

If it is some stand alone class - your guess is as good as mine without a syllabus.