Options

Another advice thread

cl0udedth0ughtcl0udedth0ught Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
Here's the problem I ran into when searching for a new job. It seems employers want to push me into another sysadmin type position since that is what my actual experience is in. I currently have a bachelor's degree in computer forensics and just recently got my security + cert. I'm thinking about doing another cert to boost my resume. I just don't know which one would help me the most. I currently have 3 years of sys admin type experience but I would really like to get into something more related to infosec or my degree field(forensics). I originally took the sysadmin job to get my foot in the door and get some real world experience after college since I couldn't find hardly any entry level forensics jobs. I figured the security + should help and I'm looking for another cert that may help me stand out a little more on the resume without breaking the bank. Possibly CASP?

Open to suggestions...

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    wikigetwikiget Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Security+ is the foot in the door cert, but if you need to pad out more security certs to get people to take you as a security professional here are a few certs that could help:

- CEH - Probably a good option for you. CEH complements your knowledge with penetration and basic investigation tools. Unfortunately, to get this cert with no security experience requires you to take their courseware putting the cost into the 4 digit range.

- CASP - I really like this cert. It can be very challenging though for someone with no experence. If you go this route, I recommend multiple training books to ensure you get all the material needed to pass, and do the suggested labs. Seriously, do all the labs.

- CISSP - This is the most recognized cert. The material is incredibly wide covering most aspects of security at a very shallow level. With no experience you can still sit the test, but you would be a "CISSP Associate" should you pass. Be warned, this test has stymied experienced security experts in the past.

There's also SANS courses, but they tend to be pricey.

In the end though, you have the right cert for security. These certs should be your next goal AFTER you get some experience.
    "Once upon a time, disks were floppy, administrators were electricians and computers were louder then jets. Then it all got complicated." -Anon

Life of a Network Security Manager: http://imgur.com/kKvmgjj