Options

Missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system....

Forgot to mention, this is on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop running Windows XP Pro SP2:

Try to boot from Hard Drive OS and receive the error. I also change the boot sequence to CD-ROM and receive the same error message.
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

1.) After this the machine reboots and I press F12.

2.) The startup menu appears with the following:
-Internal HDD
-CD\DVD\CD-RW Drive
-Cardbus NIC
-Onboard NIC
-Diagnostics

3.) I choose diagnostics and the Preeboot System Assessment Build 3012 utility begins.

4.) After this testing is finished the following message is displayed:
No diagnostic utility partition found. To run diagnostics insert the Dell "Drivers & Utilities| CD-ROM, then select ok to restart the system to boot off the CD.

Ok or Cancel

5.) I choose OK and the system reboots.

6.) I am prompted to press any key to boot from CD...

7.) I press a key and the Windows Setup screen appears.

The only repair option I have with this is Recovery Console.

My friend would like her files retrieved first so performing a new install right now on this hard drive is my least desired option.

I am using a copy of my original XP Pro CD. I have to look for the original after class today. Could this be the problem?

Thanks![/quote]

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you attempted to boot to the installation CD then you should not have gotten the error unless your computer will not boot to CD or your CD is not bootable. Be certain that you have set the boot order to boot to CD before hard drive and try again. Once you successfully boot to the Windows Installation disk, try a Repair Install. If you do not have any data that you need off of the hard drive then just reinstall.
  • Options
    AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    I have editied my original thread with the detailed steps I have performed. I can boot from the CD after the system assessment utility fnished but why can I not boot to it from choosing it at the boot menu in the BIOS? Maybe because it is a copy of my original??
  • Options
    On the Welcome to setup screen press "Enter" to go into setup. After you accept the license aggreement, Windows will look for existing windows installations. Select the installation you want to repair and press "R".
  • Options
    It doesn't display any installed windows version. It displays the single NTFS partition on the drive C:. My options at that point are to install on that partition or create/delete partitions and go from there...

-I can choose to install on the same partition.

-After I choose Yes, the warning about installing multiple OSs on the same parititon.

-I choose continue by pressing C.

-I have the format options for Quick or regular or I can leave the current file system intact (no changes).

-After I choose to leave currenty file system intact, i am prompted to overwrite current files or install in different folder.

Any help from here?
  • Options
    If it doesn't give you the repair option then you will need to perform a clean installation. One thing you might consider before doing so is to connect their hard drive to a working PC as a slave drive and backup their data.

Unless they have created custom folders then you can find their data in the following folders.

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Pictures
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Favorites
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop

In order to get their e-mail form a microsoft client you will need to enable the option to show hidden files and folders and navagate to the following:

Microsoft Outlook
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook (Copy the .pst file and import this file once the PC is restored and e-mail has been setup again)

Outlook Express
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\"LongString of Characters"\Microsoft\Outlook Express (You can just copy all the folders here and paste them to the same location once the e-mail has been setup on the restored PC)

Note: In the above directories I used the Drive letter C:\ as an example only and you will need to go to the appropriate drive letter that is assigned to that drive.
  • Options
    I figured there wasn't going to be a way to do this with it attached to the laptop. I guess I will try your method. Only problem is I do not have any cables that will plug into a laptop hard drive.

I am familiar with the directories for the local user files such as documents, email, etc...

Thanks!
  • Options
    You could always make you a copy of the Ultimate bootcd for windows.......I use it all the time. It takes a little effort to put together but wirth every minute you spend on it if you do this all the time.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/
  • Options
    Thanks a lot. I have begun looking into this option and will try it out tonight! :)
  • Options
    I am going to try your recommendation but I was just thinking if I had a network boot disk, I could start the machine with that disk to connect it to my network. At that point, I could map to the machine and back up the necessary files. Unfortuntely, she does not have a floppy drive.

I may also go to Recovery Console and copy the folder from CD-ROM to the indicated corrupt folder when I try to load. I need to make sure I don't void any warranty she may have before I do this.
  • Options
    That Ultimate boot cd will give you the abililty to connect to the network.

As far as the warranty is concerned, I am certified by HP/Compaq, IBM and Dell to do warranty work for them and they are not concerned with the software as the software is not what is covered. The warranty covers the hardware. So you can format and reload as many times as your heart desires.

Now if this directory that you have missing is due to a bad hard drive then you will want to obviously replace it. Who is the manufacturer?
  • Options
    Dell........OK

Dell has a built in utility that will test the hard drive if you want to do that before you go any farther. Soon as the laptop begins to power on hit "CTRL +ALT + D". That will initiate the hard drive diagnostics. It will give you the results when it finishes. If it doesn't go into this utility then try again......it's there.
  • Options
    I tried the CTR+ALT+D and it did not work. The same screen appears indicating the corrupt or missing file.

As for the manufacture of her hard drive, I have no idea. I checked the openings on the bottom of the laptop and there are only covers for the memory, battery, and Ethernet/Wireless card.

There is a diagnostic port as well but I have nothing to interface it with.

I was at the movie watching Jarhead :p so I will continue prepping the UBD tomorrow. I have XP Home w/SP2 ready and I have downloaded pebuilder and ubcdwinv2 and ubcd4windrivers. I will attempt to mesh the ISO and everything tomorrow to make the final boot CD!

If the network boot utility works, I can connect her machine to my network and attempt to map to it and retrieve her files :)
  • Options
    you have to be quick to get it to come up. Soon as you press the power button hold down ctrl and alt while pressing D several times. It will come up. this is before post.

good luck and let me know
  • Options
    I was quick like quick-draw-mcgraw but it did not work. Same error message appeared.

I was also unsuccessful with the UBCD. I started a thread for support on their forums:
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3264
  • Options
    I read your post on the other forum..... does the bootcd at least recognize your cd drive. If so then just back the data up to a cd.

As far as the message on the netwrok adapter not be able to insall.....i belive, could be wrong, but i bellieve that there is a way to add drivers to that ISO file to suit your needs. I will look around in their site and if i find it then i will post it here
  • Options
    Yeah it says that you can request drivers from the developer or add them yourself but I am unsure how to do it myself...

I will try to backup directly to cd-rom and see if that works...
  • Options
    crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am new at all this (still studying for 70-270), but in the Training Kit book on page 20-34 & 20-35 they describe what seems to be this exact problem.

I would like to paste the section, but Johan can not allow that (MS gets mad). If you have not tried that & need some more info about it, Private Message me.

The general gist is to start Recovery Console, copy drive\windows\repair\software to the place you note (windows\system32\config\system)

Recovery Console should ask Overwrite? & you press Y
    [They do suggest backing up the file in \system32\config first]

Hope you solve it.

SB had a great link - will have to get that done for future reference.

C
    [Maryland crabs sure taste good!]
  • Options
    Thanks man! I actually solved the problem a few days after my last post. The UBCD4Windows worked ok. I was able to get into the machine, backup her files, and then reload XP.

Thanks and good luck with your 70-270 exam also ;)