Options

Anyone have a PBX at home?

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I'm a few weeks away from closing on a new house. Due to the size I was looking into installing several wireless intercoms. However, I came across a few blog posts of peeps using IP phones with open source solutions such as Asterisk and then using Google Voice. Is anyone here running such a setup?

Comments

• Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I do have the previously mentioned asterisk gv setup. You must be very diligent with regards to security or your box can be used by hackers. Asterisk has many known security flaws. When I find time I'll send you the exact solution I am using, studying for my vcp5 test that is scheduled for Friday right now.
  • Options
    Sounds good. Best of luck on the test.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd be interested in that too.

I had a crazy idea about buying a cheap Voice Gateway (Cisco/Linksys do one that's like £40) that can either run Asterisk or I can use it as a pure gateway as it has FXO/FXS port. I have a VMware ESX Server so I could easily run Asterisk on that, but it is nowhere near my PSTN line :)
  • Options
    Took a break from reading. I use freepbx, do keep in mind google voice use is going to end sometime this year.I don't remember when so you will need to Google it. It's on the freepbx forums.
  • Options
    Yeah, I did come accross that last night. At least there are very cheap providers.
  • Options
    May I suggest ooma it's like $100 doesn't require a server and is 5-10$ a month
  • Options
    Well, the ultimate goal is to do some integration with a VeraLite system. I've found stuff for FreePBX integration, haven't found anything from Ooma.
  • Options
    Ok, be sure you factor in the cost to runa server tho :) my first bill was shellshock and that's an understatement lol
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I have a UC500 that we use to run the corp network out of our basement. I also have an asterisk system in the cloud for devlopment, and I'm also hosting a few in the cloud for client. I don't use the google voice, or skype trunks, but I'm sure they are fine for home use.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related