Options

Network montior tool

sbertramsbertram Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi i am looking for a Network montior tool that i can fire up any time and see what type of traffic is going to and from where and how much it is slowing down the network. I am fine with buying some thing. Please advice on what you use.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    You'll be looking at Netflow if your hardware supports it. Have a look at this: Network and Systems Management Live Orion Platform Demo
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    If the hardware doesn't support it then you'll have to rely on port mirroring and wireshark. Or you can check to see if the firewall has any monitoring built in.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What device are you trying to monitor the traffic on? Just wondering if it supports it or not.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Hi MAC_Addy I just want to fireup software and see any thing coming from where and going to who and see how much this or that program is eating network traffic.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are programs out there that will run on a small desktop computer (dedicated, usually). The best, and free, software is MRTG. It's very basic, but it'll get the job done.

The reason why I asked what device you're using is because not all devices support netflow. If you have a Cisco device, then you're golden.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NetFlow exports aren't supported on all Cisco equipment. It's usually at least more recent routers, higher-end switches, etc.. You also have to be careful which version of NetFlow involved and which collector you're using. For example, 4948Es export NetFlow-lite, which might require a different probe depending on your environment.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    You said "network" monitoring tool so here are some solid ones and they are better yet, free

Zenoss - My preference
    Nagios
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are NMS (network monitoring systems) like Nagios, Cacti, Zenoss, Zabbix, SolarWinds, etc. that you'll hear a lot about. There are also flow-based solutions which helps you drill down into individual connections (rather than interface utilizations) that help you track down top-talkers from a bits-per-second, packets-per-second, flows-per-second reporting perspective. Some of the first names I mentioned also have this functionality (like SolarWinds has a NetFlow Analyzer product which integrates with their Orion product line).

For free, open source stuff on the flow monitoring, I like Nfdump and Nfsen. I've been planning to post a CentOS 6.x build guide for it on my website for a year now, but just haven't had the time.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Hi Nagios, does Zenoss work on windows 7 64 bit I can not find any thing about it.
    thanks
    steve
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    sbertram wrote: »
    Hi Nagios, does Zenoss work on windows 7 64 bit I can not find any thing about it.
    thanks
    steve

Zenoss sits on top of a Linux Distro. I prefer CentOS
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We use Netflow at work and it is awesome. Should fit the bill nicely for what you are looking to do. Full trial version for 30 days to see if it will work for you.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    We use Netflow at work and it is awesome. Should fit the bill nicely for what you are looking to do. Full trial version for 30 days to see if it will work for you.

Huh? Netflow is free.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry (should have been specific), ManageEngine's Netflow Analyzer costs money.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    WhatsUp Gold we use, but I'd love to see if we can do better. It's creaking a bit as it's on an old server.

How many nodes can you reliably monitor with Zenoss? Must get it in my lab and try it.
  • Options
    Hi how much does WhatsUp Gold cost
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    I am looking at networking monitoring, performance, internet health, overall quality of network, etc tools. We currently have SolarWinds NPM, which we could buy the NetFlow Traffic Analyzer and have to setup netflow on all the interfaces I wish to monitor.. and probably the VoIP & Network Quality Manager, but we do not use Cisco Call Manager, we have Avaya. We have both dedicated circuits for WAN as well as Internet links.

Basically want to have it automated and know proactively when there are issues, potential issues arising, etc before helpdesk is getting the calls. We may stay with SolarWinds, but also looking to see if there is a better solution out there before proceeding.

I have reached out to Zenoss due to the mention above. I liked that we could do it "as a Service", removing the requirement of having a beefy physical server and provides DR/failover capabilities. Also do not need to maintain, keep on updating, etc. Other notables I have looked at is WhatsUpGold, Praessler, ScienceLogic and probably some others.

Would need to monitor network devices from firewalls, IPS, routers, switches, wan and internet links, bandwidth, performance, "health", along with servers, physical and VMware virtualized.
    If we have to have more than one product as one does things better than the other, that is OK.
  • Options
    googol wrote: »
    and provides DR/failover capabilities.

I don't think any snmp or nms box is capable of doing that, but I could be wrong.

Have you check out Zabbix for monitoring and alerting? I swear by it. I used to have it on an old p4 with 2gb of ram and a single 7200 sata disk. Was monitoring over 100 hosts across the nation with over 2000 items queried and never broke a sweat. It really is a great option if you need open source. There are also several open source netflow options that you could use, nfsen being my first suggestion.
  • Options
    Hi does Zabbix run on windows 7 64 bit, as I do not want to setup a server for this I like to run it off my windows 7 64 bit laptop.
    thanks
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sbertram wrote: »
    Hi does Zabbix run on windows 7 64 bit, as I do not want to setup a server for this I like to run it off my windows 7 64 bit laptop.
    thanks

No, it does not run on Windows. You can use Zabbix to monitor Windows devices but the Zabbix server itself needs to be Unix or Linux.
  • Options
    ok thanks I found the product I like so we can end this forums thanks for all your help
    Steve
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I don't think any snmp or nms box is capable of doing that, but I could be wrong.

Have you check out Zabbix for monitoring and alerting? I swear by it. I used to have it on an old p4 with 2gb of ram and a single 7200 sata disk. Was monitoring over 100 hosts across the nation with over 2000 items queried and never broke a sweat. It really is a great option if you need open source. There are also several open source netflow options that you could use, nfsen being my first suggestion.

Another vote for Zabbix. I prefer Zabbix to Nagios. We had Nagios in place but moved to Zabbix.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    SolarWinds does it with their "Failover Engine" all for like $6000 ish.. Paessler has failover cluster config.. ManageEngine Opsmanager has failover and failback, WhatsUpGold has Failover Manager that I have seen..probably some others.
    phoeneous wrote: »

• Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    very good free netflow collector
    nfdump-1.6.11 + nfsen-1.3.6p1
  • Options
    joeshestakjoeshestak Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am using "MindArray IPM" from last six month. We replaced Solarwind with MindArray IPM. I love it!! I really like how easy it is to see all the Monitoring of VMs and hosts quickly and efficiently. Actually I created a dashboard that helps to monitors all my branch office circuits and displayed it on a tv screen in my Cabin. I have caught and resolved issues before employees knew there was even a problem.