Options

CPU Knowledge

wayzerwayzer Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am reading in your tech notes and am looking at the CPU's as we speak and I don't see any information inregards to AMD and the sockets they use, bus speeds, and MHz available in what name.

Am I right to assume that AMD products are not covered on the test? Or not to any degree.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Brad

Comments

• Options
    ScarletLaceScarletLace Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Brad, the exam does cover to a small extent AMD products because apart from Intel Corporation,AMD is another main supplier of microprocessors. That's why the exam objective mention:

Socket7-which is an Intel design and the last socket shared by Intel and AMD.Supports Intel Pentium processors with 321 pins in a ZiF socket. It is
    used by AMD K5 through K6 as well as by all 2.5V to 3.3V Pentiums at 75 to 233MHz and Cyrix 6*86 P120 through P233.

Slot A - which is developed by AMD. It is similar to slot1 in terms of looks and size but incompatible because electronically they are completely different. Allows for a higher bus rate than a socket 7 or Super7 and is primarily used with AMD k7 processor family.

Socket A - usually associated and referred to as Socket 462.Consists of 462 pins. Primarily supports AMD Athlon,Duron and Athlon XP processors.

So it's very important that you follow the exam objectives closely when you are studying.You can get a copy of the exam objectives at http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.aspx
    and do some practice tests.There are a lot of good ones mentioned on the techexams.net site.

I've heard a lot of talk about the Mike Myers all in one book.
    I personally haven't used it, but I think it's a very good book as lots of people recommend it. So it's worth getting.

Good luck in your studies :D
  • Options
    wayzerwayzer Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply. I deffinitely know they are a major competitor with intel as I am a firm follower of AMD. Just didn't know how the exam handle it. I understand you went into much detail in your description explaining voltages etc.

I am trying to pass the test withing 30 days, both actually. So I really have to study hard, but most import must focus on the most important sections.

Any tips, tricks areas of focus are recommended. I have several years of experience with computers as well as graduated from computer programmer analyst program, but have to get A+ to work for a company.

Thanks
  • Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    practice tests...Mike metyers "all in one" A+ certification book. this web site has very good practice test thanks to the web master icon_wink.gif. there some other web sites...with practice tests. Also check www.comptia.org for objectives. Also when you ready to take test use vouchers. you will save $$$$.

I hope it will help

good luck with test :)

wayzer wrote:
    Thank you for the reply. I deffinitely know they are a major competitor with intel as I am a firm follower of AMD. Just didn't know how the exam handle it. I understand you went into much detail in your description explaining voltages etc.

I am trying to pass the test withing 30 days, both actually. So I really have to study hard, but most import must focus on the most important sections.

Any tips, tricks areas of focus are recommended. I have several years of experience with computers as well as graduated from computer programmer analyst program, but have to get A+ to work for a company.

Thanks
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    slayer3slayer3 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just memorize the AMD's along with the Intal processors and you will be fine. Good luck on the test.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Nice answer ScarletLace!

Wayzer,
    Do you have a job in mind that requires you to have an A+?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the only questions in regards to sockets I got were "slot/socket A" and PII questions.

I wouldn't devote too much time to it.

However, know how many pins various kinds of memory has, at least up to basic DDR memory. they may update it later on, but right now there are tons of new ones coming out you really don't need for the exam.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I just bought the Meyers AIO 5th edition (because of the reviews I've read here) AND the Exam Crams 2 from Amazon for $68 to my door. I'm on chapter 5 of the Meyers book and it is definitely the best and easiest to follow computer book I've read to date. So far it has used diagrams and analogies to explain how things work. It devotes an entire chapter on the history and specs of Intel and AMD processors all the way back to the beginning of the PC and the 8088. If nothing else, this 1,100 + page behemoth would be a good reference book.

I can't comment on the Exam Crams 2 book yet except that in the introduction it gave actual test taking tips and things to watch for and it comes with a sample questions book.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    hill1221hill1221 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only got one question about a pentium socket number.

Don't worry too much about it. Most questions I got where about device configuration issues.

Good luck!

:)
    I make technology work for people, not people work for technology!