Options

Linux Mint

10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has experiance with Linux Mint 16? For fun I was going to install it on my Netbook and see what its all about, any thoughts on it being faster or slower; good for internet (pandora, youtube, skype) ? Thanks everyone!
CCNP R&S, Security+
B.S. Geography - Business Minor
MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
Professional Certificate - IT Project Management

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I put it on a VM and it works just fine. It is good for general internet usage. As for the applicability on a netbook, I am not totally certain. As long as you didn't end up with a processor that includes a non-native Intel graphics processor, you should be okay. My Dell Mini 1010 has the Poulsbo chipset, so Linux doesn't work as well as one would want (proprietary drivers that were slowly released and rarely updated...not to mention dog slow).

Cheers.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Mint is great, it's one of the easiest to use Linux distributions. It's perfect for everyday use.
  • Options
    Yea the netbook is dated and slow on XP with a Intel 950 chipset, atom N270 and 1.5GB RAM, thats why I was willing to use it as a test machine, not much to get upset over if its a loss. Is Linux popular for using progams like Putty and the like to SSH and manage network devices, or does it not really matter? (this could be for a home lab if it all works out)
    CCNP R&S, Security+
  • Options
    Linux is great for that! SSH is build into the Linux OS, no need for putty. If the computer is older and slow try Lubuntu or WattOS, they're designed to run on older computers. I once installed a relatively recent version of WattOS on a computer with 192 Mb RAM and a 250Mhz processor, it worked great, and a monkey could use it. Running that your old laptop will feel new again. Lubuntu is better supported and runs a little heavier (but the difference won't be noticeable on anything with more than 512Mb RAM).
  • Options
    I heard about Lubuntu, was initially drawn to Mint for its look and the user guide was friendly. But seeing that it has SSH built in is really cool, this is shaping up to be great. Is a Catalyst 3750 Switch and 2811 router enough for a CCNA home lab?
    CCNP R&S, Security+
  • Options
    It's not a bad but you'll need two routers & switches to really practice routing and STP stuff. You can hook one real router up to 3GNS if you want. :)

Mint a great distro, but you'll notice the speed difference between it and Lubuntu. Lubuntu is also well documented and easy to use, it's what I run on my netbook.

For practicing with switches, packet tracer is great.
  • Options
    @Jane, so a 4 piece set up, that could be possible to obtain. I was hoping to only need 1 switch with VLANs, but your point of STP is true. Well, may go for both and try them! Thanks for the help I know this wasnt the original direction of the thread; but its all relative to the same end goal. I have packet tracer its fun, but lacks the routing! Rawr!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
  • Options
    I practiced routing on Packet tracer, it works fine. What commands are you typing?
    You can get packet tracer scenarios, including routing here: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/minicourses/
  • Options
    I attempted ROAS and 2 networks with 2 routers and OSPF between them, followed instructions right from the book, ping from one side to the other wouldnt work. The routers could get the hosts and interfaces on their respective sides, but not through it.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
  • Options
    This sounds like something is wrong with your configuration. Did you see if the routers were neighbors?

Also did you try placing a static route between the routers?
  • Options
    I didnt try the static route, but I did add the /30 network from my point to point between my routers with OSPF, I dont remember if they formed a adjacency . Good point on the static route, will try that out.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
  • Options
    I didnt try the static route, but I did add the /30 network from my point to point between my routers with OSPF, I dont remember if they formed a adjacency.
    That would do it. I made that mistake my fist time too. If they don't form an adjacency and there were only two of them, then they couldn't route between each other. Glad we figured that out before you spend a bunch of money on gear you didn't need.
  • Options
    Yep me too, I started looking around the internet for hardware, just watching that wallet get thinner hahah. Thank you for the help very much! Dont be too surprised if there is a topic in the future where I am 100% lost attempting SSH from Mint to the router/switch I have already.
    CCNP R&S, Security+