Options

Please advise on this job offer

ChronoChrono Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys.

I was offered a 100% travelling desktop engineer role, 6 month contract. They pay mileage, drive time, and hotel stay as needed. I would be visiting sites and performing Windows OS migration and taking care of any issues that came up. I'm hesitant to take it because of the pay they offered and the risk involved in always driving, and staying at hotels all the time and being away from home.

For this kind of position what do you think would be a fair hourly rate considering the travel involved etc.

Comments

• Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chrono wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I was offered a 100% travelling desktop engineer role, 6 month contract. They pay mileage, drive time, and hotel stay as needed. I would be visiting sites and performing Windows OS migration and taking care of any issues that came up. I'm hesitant to take it because of the pay they offered and the risk involved in always driving, and staying at hotels all the time and being away from home.

For this kind of position what do you think would be a fair hourly rate considering the travel involved etc.

Is this contract from a recruiter or from the company itself? What are you currently doing and making? What is the mileage reimbursement vs your average MPG? What area are you covering? How much do you like driving/hoteling? Is this a project based 6 months that on completion of the assignment there is no extension or possible hire or strictly just the project? Have you worked with this recruiter before or get good feelings about doing business with them after this contract is complete? Do you feel like there is something to gain/learn from this contract/position? How is the job market in the area? What are positions similar to this or more like help desk/desktop support being offered in the area?

You don't really give us much to go on so once we know more ...
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd say $35-$40/hour would be my minimal rate if away from home for literally 6 months, but like ^that person eluded to, if there is considerable experience to be had then that changes what dollar amount I'd accept.

Though I have no real interest in server stuff at this point so my bottom dollar would be a lot higher then I'm sure I'd be offered. I'd say the main thing to consider with traveling jobs is if being away from home would make you miserable, cause it would for me, unless it was a very rewarding networking project or something in my field.