Options

Rate my resume

What do you think of my resume? I'm not sure if it's too good...
Name
Address
Cell #
Email
Summary
Highly motivated individual seeking an entry-level job opportunity in the field of information technology. Interested in learning new technologies through self-study and has an understanding of both business and finance. Currently working towards CompTIA A+ with 220-801 completed.

Education
Bachelors of Science in Finance with a minor in Computer Science
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Graduated in May 2013

Experience
University of Alabama at Birmingham, located in Birmingham, AL
Worked from September 2011 to December 2011
Job Title: Computer Science Tutor
· Tutored students one-on-one for computer science courses
· Helped students understand course material, improved computer skills

Skills
· Basic knowledge of TCP/IP along with UNIX
· Basic knowledge of SQL queries
· Basic knowledge of Java
· Understanding of financial accounting

Comments

• Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    What have you been up to since last May? Anything worth adding?
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    JaneDoe wrote: »
    What have you been up to since last May? Anything worth adding?

Haven't been able to find a job then. I relocated recently so hopefully things will be easier.

Here is the PDF version of my resume.
  • Options
    How many years have you worked with Microsoft Office? What Windows versions have you used? Can you install Windows? Remove viruses? Add all of that stuff. If you've worked with Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc, add that too.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    JaneDoe wrote: »
    How many years have you worked with Microsoft Office? What Windows versions have you used? Can you install Windows? Remove viruses? Add all of that stuff. If you've worked with Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc, add that too.

Well, I've always used office for school related work. I worked with photoshop in a computer class when I was in middle school. Are these skills I need to list on my resume for a specific reason? I thought having an understanding of programming, tcp/ip, and sql is more important.
  • Options
    Yes, and you need to fill out your resume. If you're working on your A+ and applying for helpdesk work, cleaning viruses and installing Windows is exactly what you'll spend most of your day doing. Also split the UNIX experience from the TCP/IP stuff, and explain in more detail your understanding of the TCP/IP for example "understands the OSI model". If you tutored people in CS highlight your ability to explain technical concepts in clear language.

Also remove the month you graduated and just publish the year, this will make it look like you may have graduated in December and will disguise the gap in your resume.
  • Options
    wikigetwikiget Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I've always used office for school related work. I worked with photoshop in a computer class when I was in middle school. Are these skills I need to list on my resume for a specific reason? I thought having an understanding of programming, tcp/ip, and sql is more important.
    It's best to be as complete as possible on your template resume so you can tailor it to the position you are applying for.

Also look around for pro-bono (volunteer) work. Preferably in the field of IT you want to get into. That way you have experience growing in the field (even if it's unpaid). Doing computer work for the local PBS, clinic or a nonprofit would help.
    "Once upon a time, disks were floppy, administrators were electricians and computers were louder then jets. Then it all got complicated." -Anon

Life of a Network Security Manager: http://imgur.com/kKvmgjj
  • Options
    A lot of nonprofits can use all the help they can get with IT stuff. Cleaning virus and reinstalling windows is needed all the time at nonprofits and among people you know. You can often get a couple bucks for your time too.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd add more to the summary. Accomplishments, projects, etc.
  • Options
    Jay GastJay Gast Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there,

I'd be more specific in your work experience, if being more specific is positive. For instance:

· Tutored students one-on-one for computer science courses
    · Helped students understand course material, improved computer skills

How many students did you tutor? What were the major subjects you covered? Did you manage to increase anyone's grades in their courses? By how much?

You also may consider writing your resume in a Functional Format, as it avoids writing dates down. Since you are a student, having some missing work experience dates is somewhat more acceptable than if you're middle aged. Here's how to make a functional resume: https://resumegenius.com/resume/resume-formats

Best of luck.