Options

WGU Network admin vs Sec vs NDM

PSouz7PSouz7 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently in the mist of starting WGU, I will begin March 1st

I am pretty sure that Network Admin is the major I am going to take, but just wanted to post to this forum to figure out if I am making the right decision

Network design and management seems like it would be the easiest out of the three, considering I already have net+ and wouldn't need CCNA, but it seems like CCNA would be a very helpful cert to have, and I would prefer a network admin job over designing networks

here is the hard part, network admin vs sec, security seems like a great choice, but the time it would take to get CCNA and CCNA security is kind of scaring me, and considering with the network admin degree I will still have CCNA and security+ I feel that the time taking CCNA security might not be worth it

any advice from people doing any of these majors, or enrolled at WGU would be great
thanks!

(a little background on me, I have a+,net+ and sec+. I also have about 50 CCAF credits from a networking air force tech school, I am hoping a few credits transfer to WGU, just had them sent to WGU last week, before the CCAF credits I have 35 cu's transferred in, I am hoping to finish within five 6 month terms)

Comments

• Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    I would say no on NDM because there are no Cisco certs, which is kind of surprising for a Network Design degree. Of the other two, I went the Security route because eventually I would like to get into infosec.

The only real differences in certs I see is that with NA you get MSCA 2008 and with Sec you get CCNA-Sec and Linux+. Don't be scared by Cisco certs! I was a bit intimidated myself but have found CCENT (passed)/CCNA (so far) to be much easier than I had anticipated. Honestly so far, Linux+ was the hardest for me as I had 0 experience going in. Since you have Net+ and Sec+, I think you are in good shape to do both CCNA and CCNA-Sec if you wanted to.

That being said, if your not interested in infosec, you should probably go the NA route. Also, CCNA > Net+, so don't think that since you have Net+ that you don't need Cisco if you want to get into networking. Cisco certs are the standard way in afaik.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    Thanks, I agree, ccna>net+. And NDM doesn't make much sense

It sec needs to take Linux+? I didn't even realize that, I have no interest in taking that.
    NA does seem like The better choice. MCSA seems like it would interest me more than ccna sec and Linux+
    Thanks for the help
  • Options
    Will they allow me to just take CCNA the single test instead of having to get CCENT first? That seems like its kind of waste of time to take 2 tests instead of one

Hopefully having net+ will help my chances of being able to do that
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    PSouz7 wrote: »
    Will they allow me to just take CCNA the single test instead of having to get CCENT first? That seems like its kind of waste of time to take 2 tests instead of one

I am not sure about this, but I would guess no because they probably purchase bulk vouchers from Cisco for specifically ICND1/ICND2, and none for the combined exam. You should definitely email your mentor/EC about this though.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    edicwhunedicwhun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can chime in here because I am going the IT NA route (starting on March 1st) and also already have my Net+ and Sec+ and have gotten my transcripts sent in and evaluated.

Net+ will cover:
    CWV1 Network Fundamentals

Sec+ will cover:
    CTV1 Security
    DEV1 Security Fundamentals

That's it, neither one touches anything Cisco related at all and we'll have to take both exams.
  • Options
    that would make sense if they didn't have the vouchers for it, that's a bummer.
    Kind of makes me thing I should take it before starting, but, I feel like the structure of only have 6 months to do the scheduled classes will keep me more focused
  • Options
    @edicwhun
    are you excited to start your NA degree?

from what I've read, it seems to be a pretty good degree, and what was scaring me at first was CCNA, but it sounds like the material they give (book,cbt,simulator) help a lot
  • Options
    I'm very excited to get started. It's long overdue for me to go after my degree and the added bonus of the certs that we'll obtain along the way are that much more incentive. I agree, it does seem like a good degree and with all the research I've done on this school and everything I've read on this site about them, I'm amped. I've always wanted to obtain my CCNA but was always a little too scared to do it on my own so this will give me the kick in the butt to do it.

Can't wait!
  • Options
    edicwhun wrote: »
    I'm very excited to get started. It's long overdue for me to go after my degree and the added bonus of the certs that we'll obtain along the way are that much more incentive. I agree, it does seem like a good degree and with all the research I've done on this school and everything I've read on this site about them, I'm amped. I've always wanted to obtain my CCNA but was always a little too scared to do it on my own so this will give me the kick in the butt to do it.

Can't wait!
    yeah, needing the certifications to get the degree is really great, forces me to get them in a timely manner

were you able to transfer many credits in?

before they evaluated my 48 CCAF credits I have 35 CUs, I'm hoping to get a few more and start off with 40/45 CUs

in order to get full time benefits from the GI Bill I have to take 18 CU every 6 months at least, I am hoping to finish my remaining 80ish CUs in 2 years
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would do BSIT Security.

For anyone reading this that do not have the comptia certs PSouz7 has, I recommend the following:

Start with BSIT with no concentration. Depending on how many gen eds you have to do and are able to crank out, you should be able to complete the all the MTAs, A+, and Network+ (security does not offer Network+) before the term ends. For your second term, change to the BSIT security concentration and finish out the degree. When you finish the BSIT Security, you'll have several MTAs (good info), several CIWs, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA, and CCNA Security. Immediately after finishing the security degree, study for and take the CISSP and GSEC within six months then study for and take the C|EH or alternatively take the MS in Information Security and Assurance at WGU, which has you take the C|EH and C|HFI.

The end result of the above pathway:

BSIT Security
    MS in Information Security and Assurance
    C|EH
    C|HFI
    A+
    Network+
    Security+
    Linux+
    Project+
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
    CISSP
    GSEC
    Some MTAs
    Some CIWs

Should be enough to get a decent job.
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can chime in here because I am going the IT NA route (starting on March 1st) and also already have my Net+ and Sec+ and have gotten my transcripts sent in and evaluated.

Net+ will cover:
    CWV1 Network Fundamentals

Sec+ will cover:
    CTV1 Security
    DEV1 Security Fundamentals

That's it, neither one touches anything Cisco related at all and we'll have to take both exams.

The course names WGU uses do not match the certification you will be taking. For example, IT Fundamentals II and III are for Part 1 and 2 of the A+. You need to read the exam description part of the course to know what exam the course is having you study for.

Be sure to only take the certification courses as some are not certification courses and count towards as having taken the certification material without giving you the certification.

--> The higher level courses serve no purpose to your resume or potential employer whereas the MTA courses are actual MS certifications (albeit low level ones) that can be easily looked up as to what they covered.

REQUIREMENTS MET CROSS WALK TABLE

MTA COURSES

HIGHER LEVEL COURSE

Course Code
    Course Title

Course Code
    Course Title

CWV1
    Network Fundamentals

CRV1
    Networks

DEV1
    Security Fundamentals

CTV1
    Security

DFV1
    Web Development Fundamentals (not EUP1 or EUC1)

CUV1
    Web Technologies

DJV1
    Software Development Fundamentals

KET1
    Introduction to Programming (not TXP1, TXC1, TYP1 or TYC1)

CVV1
    Database Fundamentals

WDV1/CJV1
    Database I

DHV1
    Windows OS Fundamentals

ABV1/CSV1
    Operating Systems

DIV1
    Windows Server Admin Fundamentals

ABV1/CSV1
    Operating Systems

• Options
    @mokaiba
    Is there any reason you recommend sec over NA?
    Does your advice not apply to me to do sec instead of NA because I have a+,net+ and sec+?

I understand CISSP can be a door opener, but I think I would rather be a network admin than a security manager
  • Options
    yeah, needing the certifications to get the degree is really great, forces me to get them in a timely manner

were you able to transfer many credits in?

before they evaluated my 48 CCAF credits I have 35 CUs, I'm hoping to get a few more and start off with 40/45 CUs

in order to get full time benefits from the GI Bill I have to take 18 CU every 6 months at least, I am hoping to finish my remaining 80ish CUs in 2 years

I'm only able to transfer in 29 CUs from the certs I have and the few classes I've taken in CC. 2 years would be great timing for a BS degree (and certs) - good luck man! I don't know how long it's going to take me but I do have time on my side as I'll have a good chunk of time throughout the day to study, so I'm hoping to hammer it out as quickly as possible while actually learning the material as well.
  • Options
    mokaiba wrote: »
    The course names WGU uses do not match the certification you will be taking. For example, IT Fundamentals II and III are for Part 1 and 2 of the A+. You need to read the exam description part of the course to know what exam the course is having you study for.

Be sure to only take the certification courses as some are not certification courses and count towards as having taken the certification material without giving you the certification.

--> The higher level courses serve no purpose to your resume or potential employer whereas the MTA courses are actual MS certifications (albeit low level ones) that can be easily looked up as to what they covered.

REQUIREMENTS MET CROSS WALK TABLE

MTA COURSES

HIGHER LEVEL COURSE

Course Code
    Course Title

Course Code
    Course Title

CWV1
    Network Fundamentals

CRV1
    Networks

DEV1
    Security Fundamentals

CTV1
    Security

DFV1
    Web Development Fundamentals (not EUP1 or EUC1)

CUV1
    Web Technologies

DJV1
    Software Development Fundamentals

KET1
    Introduction to Programming (not TXP1, TXC1, TYP1 or TYC1)

CVV1
    Database Fundamentals

WDV1/CJV1
    Database I

DHV1
    Windows OS Fundamentals

ABV1/CSV1
    Operating Systems

DIV1
    Windows Server Admin Fundamentals

ABV1/CSV1
    Operating Systems

Great info to know, thank you! I think the only question I'm still not entirely clear on with WGU is whether I can request what class I want to take or if they are just assigned to me by my mentor. I guess I'll find out soon enough!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great info to know, thank you! I think the only question I'm still not entirely clear on with WGU is whether I can request what class I want to take or if they are just assigned to me by my mentor. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

You can tell them what classes you want to take, they don't know your background or your strengths.
  • Options
    Awesome, then I'm shooting straight for the cert classes.
  • Options
    @edicwhun
    29 CUs is still a good amount! Only 93 to go haha, I'm sure you'll be able to get it done quickly if you have a lot of time to study

@Danielm7
    Can I request to take ccent and ccna my first term? Before finishing doing my gen eds?
  • Options
    BosskBossk Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @edicwhun
    29 CUs is still a good amount! Only 93 to go haha, I'm sure you'll be able to get it done quickly if you have a lot of time to study

@Danielm7
    Can I request to take ccent and ccna my first term? Before finishing doing my gen eds?

I was told specifically that no CCNA classes would be approved at the start. That was within the last few days...I officially start February 1.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @edicwhun

@Danielm7

Sure, I had non-IT classes I had to take and I took both the CCENT, CCNA and the CCNA Security before I took the non-IT classes.
  • Options
    @Danielm7
    Awesome! I'm going to take ccent and ccna before anything else
    Those will look good on my resume before eve having my BS
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mokaiba wrote: »
    I would do BSIT Security.

For anyone reading this that do not have the comptia certs PSouz7 has, I recommend the following:

Start with BSIT with no concentration. Depending on how many gen eds you have to do and are able to crank out, you should be able to complete the all the MTAs, A+, and Network+ (security does not offer Network+) before the term ends. For your second term, change to the BSIT security concentration and finish out the degree. When you finish the BSIT Security, you'll have several MTAs (good info), several CIWs, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA, and CCNA Security. Immediately after finishing the security degree, study for and take the CISSP and GSEC within six months then study for and take the C|EH or alternatively take the MS in Information Security and Assurance at WGU, which has you take the C|EH and C|HFI.

The end result of the above pathway:

BSIT Security
    MS in Information Security and Assurance
    C|EH
    C|HFI
    A+
    Network+
    Security+
    Linux+
    Project+
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
    CISSP
    GSEC
    Some MTAs
    Some CIWs

Should be enough to get a decent job.

Are the MTA's worth it? I'm thinking I may just get the Network+ on my own (this next job I should get will pay for it) and then I just stick with the Security degree.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    Are the MTA's worth it? I'm thinking I may just get the Network+ on my own (this next job I should get will pay for it) and then I just stick with the Security degree.
    I can't say if the MTA's are worth it, but I do know that Network+ will waive the network fundamentals MTA

I actually had a OS college class transfer for MTA OS Fundamentals and Security+ covers MTA security essentials

I don't think I will be getting any MTA's with my NA track