Options

Switching from BS BIO to CCNA? I am CONFUSED

tanragagirltanragagirl Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was at stony brook for 3 years pursuing a BS in Bio but recently stopped and took a year off. Turns out I don't want to become a doctor. I looked into CCNA certification and it seems appealing. Do I complete the BS in Bio and take a CCNA course somewhere else and get certified? If yes where can I take the course? Do I take an online one or one from a school?
OR do I switch my BS in BIO to a BS in Comp Sci. Problem is I only have a year left in college and idk if I can finish all the Comp Sci pre reqs by then. Putting in another year means more money that I do not have.
I really want to do the CCNA cert but I am really lost. Community colleges offer a course for 4 semesters and I have hear online courses are not good. I just need some guidance on this stuff.

Comments

• Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    I would take a networking class at your university to learn the basics. Maybe take a networking class for the next two semesters you have left. You don't need any formal education and/or course to take the CCNA. All you need is a book and a way to simulate a router and a switch, the rest you can learn yourself.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Have you considered doing a BS in Information Technology or Information Systems? Computer Science is great, but IT and IS can be easier and more manageable alternatives if you don't want to take CS classes.

Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before the CCNA. There were many things I didn't know about computers when I started studying so I decided to go for the A+ instead. Do you know how simulators and emulators work? Do you know how to upload IOS images? At least get a current edition book and a simulator.
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Switching to IT or IS really depends on the program. If your school has a program like that, it might be easier for you switch your major to that, but it could still be a mess. You might be better off just taking the networking related classes from that department without changing your major.
  • Options
    egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have completely made the decision to switch from Bio to CS because of a $$$ issue then you should take the prerequisite courses at a community college where the tuition is a fraction of the cost. Know what you're getting into before you begin the journey though. A BS in Computer Science is for programmers while CCNA certs is for network technicians/engineers. The credential requirements from employers are significantly different.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    Hello tanragagirl, and welcome to the forum :)

As far as training for the CCNA, if you have basic networking knowledge, I would recommend looking here for training. As far as a simulator, try Wendell Odom's or Todd Lammle's guide and simulators. Otherwise, others have had success with Boson.

Good luck to you!
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman