Options

people making higher salary do you guys keep increasing

jojodudejojodude Banned Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All

I see that in the IT industry alot of young people with 4 to 6 years of experience making 100k and in my opinion its very easy to do so if you are a job hopper who lives in a decent area. Just wondering will this keep going up or will it stop at some point or even decrease has anyone expected things to change?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Staying on the cutting edge of technology will keep you in the high paying jobs. Being in a high tech area of the country certainly helps as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Everyone at my work is really close to 100k or over and receives a 3% increase every year. Myself and one other have received roughly a 6% increase everytime but that's because we are both top performers. To me that's slow increases but we all really like where we work and pay is high for the area.

What size of increases are you talking about?
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You know I actually hate this topic. It is very easy to pull down six figures when you are staying up to date with tech and live in a high tech area (like networker said), but most people only see the dollar signs when they hear about high salaries and not what those making the salaries really take home. Most high tech areas are going to be the big cities in this country. If you look at the cost of living for all of those cities you will also find that they are all at the top of the list...

Look at an example. If you wanted to move to NYC for a job making $100k per year; that's $66,091.74 after taxes. Even the cheapest apartment in the city is going to cost you about $2500 / month or $30k / year. You are now left with $36,091 to live on for expenses, school payments, food, and utilities. Not the best lifestyle if you ask me. The logical choice here might be to live outside of the city in queens, brooklyn, or long island. Your rent will go down sure, but your commuting expenses usually go up so you aren't saving *that* much and now you have a huge commute every morning.

Don't get me wrong...working in the city is cool, making a good salary has it's benefits, but it's always good to assess if it is worth it. Follow the same type of example for a place where you might only $50k - $60k per year, but your cost of living is next to nothing.

Also depending on your role/type of job you can sometimes start to cap out once you break the six figure mark. Sales is the one exception to this, but most other technical roles I don't see going above $125 (on avg) unless you move into a CxO level.

Just my $0.02.