Options

Your thougths/reviews about Odom's 200-101 Official Cert Guide?

rembot00rembot00 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Who else have read this book for their preparation in CCNA exam? How did u find the overall book content? I just started reading thru this and noticed a lot of typo errors. Not just on grammar but on figures,terms,examples as well. I've used Odom's 100-101 book and find it very useful. But now i'm not sure about this one...

Comments

• Options
    MatroMatro Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I'm studying on, and I find it very useful and easy to understand. What are the errors you've found?
    Actually: CCNA - Palo Alto ACE
  • Options
    hmm..I didn't took notes on everything..but an example is:

page 103, 2nd paragraph:
    "In each case, the message’s timestamps show that 15 seconds passed. In this experiment, the switches used a default setting of MaxAge (15 seconds)."

It should have been Forward Delay, instead of MaxAge..
  • Options
    BadLuckIncBadLuckInc Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just bought this book, but working on Network+ to get a good backing before I dive in. Error's like what you just posted always concern me as someone just getting into new material.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    If you go register your book on ciscopress.com you can download the errata's for the book.
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    FWIW, I have found plenty of grammatical errors, as well as terminology being misused, but it is not hard to to figure out what is meant to be said by looking at the context of what your reading. I kind of feel like proofreading was a bit of a fail on Odom's part.

Overall though, I don't really think it should affect ones learning, but I have always wondered if authors of tech books like these just rush to put out new copies when revisions to the cert come along as did in 2013 for CCENT/CCNA.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    yeah..i was even thinking of doing some kind of a point-by-point journal of errors that i would notice. Just to practice asking myself of what i really know lol and to help others that are currently reading the book as well. But Staunchy's advice is already golden. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Almost all IT books I read had typos in it. They are not written for a language class, so they don't check the errors as much as they should. The content of this book is really good, though. I am currently reading the "Academic Edition" version of this book, and besides being a bit dry I like the content, and colored pages. The DVD with the practice exam and extra book content is a good bonus, too.