Options

New CCNP Security path

13»

Comments

• Options
    gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree I just hate running into situations where I can't find palo alto documentations on certain things. If i do is very broad. The PAN makes a great Edge Firewall due to its visibility into the application. But anyways I'd like to trade for your CCNP Voice ;) I want that cert so bad!
  • Options
    ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know this is a CCNP Security thread, but I am curious as to how this will affect CCNA Security. Everything in CCNA:S advances out to CCNP:S, and each of the topic is explained in greater detail in each of the CCNP:S exam. It seems like if I pass CCNA:S now, there will be a large learning gap in CCNP:S.

For example, ISE and BYOD is mentioned in CCNA:S, but would not prepare anybody for 300-208 SISAS exam.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • Options
    JobeneJobene Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It seems like if I pass CCNA:S now, there will be a large learning gap in CCNP:S.
    Ccna:S like all CCNAs are just the peak of the iceberg! CCNAs should only build,admin and troubleshoot networks to the size of ~300Endpoints.....
    CCNPs >300 <1000 ......
    So small networks dont need a ISE or so on, this means the ccna is just the theory of the bigger cake with the practical need for small networks! And to be honest so much Change I cant see in the Change!
  • Options
    ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That makes sense. I guess I'll take a further look into the syllabus offered for these certifications.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Anyone have any idea what hardware will be suggested for CCNP Sec candidates?
  • Options
    maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    New path, new exams and new technology. This is showing us that we have to keep on updating our profile in this IT world, otherwise we will be off track.
  • Options
    CCNPforSureCCNPforSure Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think its a good thing
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does anyone know, or have a rough idea when the new books will come out? I'm half way there. I've completed my Firewall v2 and VPN v2. I have IPS which I'm starting now and SECURE.

I don't think I can bang out at least IPS or SECURE before the deadline, not enough time. I just sat VPN yesterday.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This update doesn't seem well planned [in terms of preparation.] If I remember correctly, Wendell's OCG was released shortly after the new CCNA: R&S went live and well before the October 2013 deadline. Yet, there are still no books to be found for the new CCNP: Security exams and from what I've read on the forums over at Cisco there may not be any until Summer 2014 [or 2015 depending on how you interpret "Next Summer"] well after the the existing exams are retired. It almost seems like Cisco just decided one day to update the exams without giving Cisco Press some advance notice so they could start working on new books.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    This update doesn't seem well planned [in terms of preparation.] If I remember correctly, Wendell's OCG was released shortly after the new CCNA: R&S went live and well before the October 2013 deadline. Yet, there are still no books to be found for the new CCNP: Security exams and from what I've read on the forums over at Cisco there may not be any until Summer 2014 [or 2015 depending on how you interpret "Next Summer"] well after the the existing exams are retired. It almost seems like Cisco just decided one day to update the exams without giving Cisco Press some advance notice so they could start working on new books.

Yep, it does seem like it was poorly planned. They should have the new books out by now. But now we have to wait until "Next Summer" for them? Really Cisco? Great going! NOT!!!!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate Cisco for this and SP books.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I planned on renewing my Cisco certs with the old CCNP Security. But looks like I'll just redo Route.

I thought it was cool that you could use GNS3, buy a cheap 5505 and buy the books to prepare for the exams. Now, you might need a X ASA with modules, rack rental and new books (the books are the least problematic if you use Safari).

And lol at the Service Provider track. They retired the CCIP more than a year ago.