Options

Sad day: LogMeIn free is about to die

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
Logged in and saw this:
Soon LogMeIn Free will no longer be available.

To continue using remote access, you’ll need to purchase an account subscription of LogMeIn Pro. As a loyal user, you’re entitled to discounted introductory pricing, with packages starting at $49/year for two computers.* Your new account includes our signature remote access with premium features like remote printing, file transfer and cloud data access, plus desktop and mobile apps to improve your experience.

Please note: If you do not take action, the Free computers highlighted in your account will become inaccessible on 1/28/2014. Only 7 days left!

Starting at $49/year (50% off regular price)

*Introductory prices apply only to the first year of your subscription.

Was this announced somewhere? Did I miss it?

Let's take a minute of silence for the departed.

Comments

• Options
    MCITBoundMCITBound Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Meh... Teamviewer FTW!!!icon_cheers.gif
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea ive switched to teamviewer from vnc/dydns and havent looked back

takes a few extra steps on linux but it works just as well with out needing to open ports on firewalls
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They posted it on their blog today: Changes to LogMeIn Free

I think it's bad move. I would bet Teamviewer is going to see a surge in usage of their free version.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I received that email today. I really liked using it, that's a shame.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    yeap switched 2 years ago...logmein is dead to me!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Only used Logmein a few times, then started using Teamviewer. Not a huge loss, those loyal to Logmein will subscribe otherwise teamviewer will likely pick up slack from the free version.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hope this doesnt affect join.me because I use it quite a bit.
  • Options
    proph21proph21 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just installed this last week to troubleshoot my dads comp from here icon_sad.gif ! Time for Teamviewer
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    its only fitting a piece of software that good would end up going the "pay to use" route. I use(d) LMI for my own personal use and for several troubleshooting jobs, its very nice to have. What I dont like about this whole deal is the amount of warning LMI/Himachi has given its users for the "free" ride. Essentially no notice. I got the email today, and they terminate the "free" version today as well (you have 7 days to decide if you want to go for the pay to use, which they have been nice enough to give a discount to those who were already using it, but its not enough to get me to pay $49/yr/2 computers)

Not gonna do that. Thankfully there are other options out there. Looks like I will be joining the Teamviewer club as well.

What are the other options? Just for the sake of discussion...
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    LogMeIn was slow as hell compared to Teamviewer. I also never needed Pro for any reason that it was worth the money. There are free/quick workarounds to not having remote printing. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've used both for our non-SLA customers for years and we've had to login via join.me many times just to reboot the TeamViewer service. It is slower but in my opinion, logmein is more reliable.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used them for a minute on my wife's windows desktop but I haven't used it in awhile. You won't see me paying for remote access to my home computer. I could easily just set up a vnc server on any windows or linux computer and forward a port on my router.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Meh, never used either of them - I SSH into home and tunnel everything for the grand total of freeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been using Teamviewer for a while now on my iPad to connect to my desktops upstairs and it works fine for that purpose.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Meh, never used either of them - I SSH into home and tunnel everything for the grand total of freeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

Hrm, you're referring to from remote locations, right, not from your work place?

I ask because I had a coworker get caught ssh'ing into his home network. He didn't get fired, but he was warned.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Probably depends on the company you work for. We're pretty laid back at my job and Most of my day is spent sshing or rdping into web servers anyway so I doubt anybody would care if we sshed into our home network. Not to mention that we sometimes need to test connectivity to a customer's server from an outside network since the firewalls allow all traffic from our noc by default and it's impossible to tell if the firewall is configure correctly for remote access that way.