Tips for studying N+ ?

Jajuka89Jajuka89 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I bought Mike Meyers Certification Passport book and I've been reading the chapters but when I get to the review questions I miss quite a few. I feel overwhelmed and I stay stuck on certain chapters until I feel that I memorized a good amount from the chapter. Should I make sure that I memorize a lot of material from a certain chapter before moving to the next ? or will some of the information get easier as I continue to the other chapters. I also watch youtube vids to help me out. I'm trying to take it one chapter at a time but I'm more of a hands on type person and its been stressing me out.
Is there any type of hands on practice I can do at home that will help me understand networking a little better ? also, any tips on studying ?

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sorry it's not sticking in your head. I know how this feels since I started with networking not knowing too much about it. For many people, learning can be done in two ways. 1: Reading. 2: Visual. For myself, I like to watch videos and then read the book, it'll help stick so much more. If you have the money, get a subscription to CBT Nuggets and watch their Network+ videos.

I can agree that you have a very good book, though. When I was studying for the N+ I borrowed that book from a friend, and I believe that book helped me pass the exam.

Do a quick google search for the videos. I found this Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Network+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training and it's free, too. Please keep in mind this is for the 004 exam, not the 005.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Jajuka89Jajuka89 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, I appreciate the reply. Those videos look like they will help out a lot.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try making some index cards on different terms that you are new too and go through them daily. The professor messer videos are also really helpful.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have found that if I try to really understand something right away I get caught up on the little stuff and it takes twice as long to read a page or chapter.

When I have the time I prefer to read a chapter quickly just getting the basic idea of everything. Then going back and reading it slowly the second time. This works for me because it's easier to put the pieces together after having skimmed the chapter. A lot of people hate reading the same thing twice so this does not work for everyone.
  • bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    I agree with the above for retaining info. Read, watch a video on those topics, then flash cards. One chapter at a time if possible.

Good luck to you! :)
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used Transcender and Certblaster, in preparation for my Net+ exam. I find both to be very helpful.