70-647 Fail ... May it Not Rest in Peace

TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
683 probably 2 questions... ugggghhh! This exam is obnoxiously hard ... this was my first attempt and will be my last. I was taking a break from security for a while to upgrade my MCSE, and these Microsoft 2008 R2 tests are hard. The 70-649 was VERY difficult and I barely passed that with a score of 700 (ironically on the 70-640 part which I thought I did the best on), but this test was equally if not harder. I had 26 questions and 7 testlets for a total of 57 questions. Some of these questions are just off the wall - "You are the administrator of 5000 users" ... really? I'm the only administrator in this company? :)

Funny enough, this was probably a blessing in disguise. I was under the impression if I passed the 649 and the 647 I could take my time with the 680 exam to achieve the MCITP: EA credential. Turns out that is incorrect as they are retiring that certification on 01/31/14 and you need all required exams completed by that date. However, the MCSA 2008 credential is going to remain so I guess I just need the 646 for that.

Question for anyone who has taken the 646. Is it as difficult as the 647? All I used to prepare was the CBT Nugget videos and Transcender practice tests and it was definitely not enough ... not even close.

My work responsibilities are IT security and audit, but I worked hard for my MCSE back in the day and I'd hate to let it go to waste. Anyways, kudos to whoever has passed this exam, definitely a higher bar Microsoft set here.

Thanks.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First off, commiserations on not passing. This test's a beast! Tell me about the 647, took me 4 tries (passed on the 4th). First try I wanted to have a feel for it, failed with a 480 something. 2nd, failed with 560 something. 3rd, same score as you. 4th, passed with a 750 something. I had 6 testlets I believe on all 4 occasions. Difficult, difficult exam!

I havent taken the 646, but I hear it's easier than its big daddy (the 647) primarily because it doesnt cover the 643 material. Most people pass the 646 if they've put in the required effort for the 647. So if I were you mate, I'd go in and blow the 646 out the water in a day or two. Skim the Nuggets and Transcender (if you have them) and go take the test. You'll pass, for sure. Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did both and both are tough exams. I did the 646 a couple of times and just made it. I was really caught off guard (I took it as my first server exam). Good luck on both.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to schedule the 646 for February sometime and try to knock that out. I do have access to the CBT Nuggets and Transcender stuff for the 646 exam so hopefully that plus a close call with 647 will be enough.
  • bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    Keep your chin up and slay the beast! icon_thumright.gif
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman