Options

Inventory Question

Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone have a recommendation on how I can get an inventory of all the machines a company has? At the present moment it is just an excel file that isn't anywhere up to date and I was tasked to get it up to date and find a better tracking system for it.

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We used to use HP Service Manager before our dev team developed a new inventory management program. HPSM is worth checking out.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    First question should always be, what is your budget (if any)? Second, do you need a plain vanilla inventory system or a you looking into a more robust solution such as a CMDB? That will steer the discussion in the proper direction.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Budget is huge like cyber mentioned. Also how is the system in place now, I understand it's very manual, however is that process accurate? Essentially are you looking to manage going forward or do you have to perform asset discovery? Discovery you could use SYDI or Powershell script to pull down the AD information. I would search for powershell and asset discovery if you need to find machines you have little to no information for.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off I apologize I posted in wrong section. Feeding my child and wasn't paying attention fully.

Well there is a budget but I am not 100% sure what it is. Its a bigger project than this task I was assigned. They are going from essentially a P2P network to a client/server setup. I think more so right now they are looking to see how many client PC's will be out there, and what PC's need to be upgraded, as this company wants to upgrade all of its XP machines to Windows 7 Pro/Windows 8 Pro.

So I guess in short I am looking to probably keep costs down but minimize a lot of manual work as well. So any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lansweeper and Spiceworks come to mind. Both are good pieces of software, and both are free.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would use NMap.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sure Nmap an other tools can give you a glimpse, but Spiceworks and similar products give you a more in-depth view about the stuff on your network. You can see hardware and software easily down to installed apps and licenses. Other cool features include reporting, knowledge base, helpdesk ticketing system, and many others. I haven't used it in a while but I can only imagine it's way better than the one I used a few years ago.

If you want to jump to paid options you can look into ServiceDesk Plus, Sys Aid, Web Help Desk (Solar Winds), and others.
  • Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Solarwinds I absolutely love. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for. Spiceworks is great as well. But they are more for traditional monitoring, though I suppose you could install a trial. I like Microsoft's Assessment Planning just to get a inventory of machines. Plus side is it's free, it can inventory physical and virtual devices, hosts, as well as other information. The free part is what I like. Though it works best if you stand up a new domain joined server for it (Which you can use an eval server license for) and credentials for a domain admin account. It will use AD, IP Range, Powershell Commandlets, and System Center credentials, depending on what you have in your environment. (I typically just use AD, an Address range, and the VMware root account). The reporting is skewed towards Microsoft Planning purposes, but will return all machines found in AD and via IP, what OS they are running, what applications are installed, hardware specs, last time the machine was seen.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/