Options

70-680 Lab, confused

vlakarmisvlakarmis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sorry, I have looked around the forums and found some lab set ups but some totally contradict the others. For example some say that I should set up two VMs with Windows 7 64 bit enterprise edition and one Server 2008 R2. Other just say multiple VMs running Windows 7.

I currently have two Windows 7 64 bit enterprise eval editions on VMware as well as the Server 2008 R2 on a third VM. My question is, what do I use the server for? Just WDS? Do i need to know anything about Active Directory Domain Services, DHCP etc? Just looking for a quick answer so i feel like i have the right VMs running to practice the labs on the Microsoft Press 70-680 training kit.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Been a while since I did that one, but IIRC the most important thing was dealing with WDS/MDT. There are some high level questions on things like DirectAccess, but nothing I felt needed labbing.
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016
  • Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't lab anything directly pertaining to DirectAccess, BranchCache, BitLocker/BLToGo, EFS

Biggest things for me that helped when labbing:
    Active Directory Group Policy, Active Directory Group Policy, Active Directory Group Policy (did you see I mentioned that three times? There will be tons of AD questions on the exams). MDT/WDS is another big one, like EasyMac308 said.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    Wow thanks for the replies. Coralreef, so you reckon i install an Active Directory Domain Controller and play around with creating users and group policies to get the hang of it? Would one VM running server 2008 r2 be enough for this or should i boot up two VMs with Server 2008 r2 (since WDS requires a DC right?) Sorry for the noob questions, but that is what I am right now, a curious noob :)
  • Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    vlakarmis wrote: »
    Wow thanks for the replies. Coralreef, so you reckon i install an Active Directory Domain Controller and play around with creating users and group policies to get the hang of it? Would one VM running server 2008 r2 be enough for this or should i boot up two VMs with Server 2008 r2 (since WDS requires a DC right?) Sorry for the noob questions, but that is what I am right now, a curious noob :)
    Familiarize yourself with group policy for sure. You don't have to be an expert (save that for the 70-410 and 70-640 exams) but anything that you can find in Poulton's book you should have a great grasp of, plus any other things you pick up on technet. Client-side targeting, snippets, bitlocker things, removable drivers, internet explorer...the list goes on. All things I personally saw AD questions on (that's just to give you an idea, there was way more).
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    I'm totally at a freakin loss here. I went through all the procedure to set up a Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller then now my VM DC says no internet access and I cant for the life of me figure out how to connect it to the net. Tbh im not understanding anything about how this Active Directory works and how to connect my client VM to the DC. meh

nevermind managed.