juliusg's CCNP journey....

JuliusgJuliusg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! I'm JuliusG and I have been on this forum for quite some time now. I had already started a thread to track my studies but got a little ahead of myself(CCIE area lol). Since, I have updated the original thread and will now keep it there until I pass all three of the CCNP exams. I'll update only when I have re/scheduled, pass/failed and start studying for the next exam.

A little bit about me... I'm a help desk tech at a call center. Its just me and the administrator servicing about 300 people. I have a some down time here and there but I'll have to get in as much as possible at work because i have a three year old and a spouse studying for the NCLEX(Nursing Cert).

I passed the CCNA after the second try just before Thanksgiving last year and have been studying for the NP Switch since late December. I have already read the OCG once and watched the CBT Nuggets once. But I don't feel like I'm ready to take the exam just yet. I want to make another round of the OCG, this time I'm taking notes as I read to reinforce the information. I was looking to see if the INE video could help but I'm not sure if I can afford them currently.

If you have any suggestions, pleas feel free to advise. I'm open to all opinions and help! (FYI my plans are to take six months between each exam, June 14 Switch, Dec 14 Route, June 15 TShoot). To all to visit, WELCOME & Thank you!
Goals: Updated 14 Mar 2014
2013: CCNA R&S COLOR=red]X[/COLOR 2014: ​
CCNP Switch[ ], CCNA-Voice[ ], CCNP Route[ ] 2015: CCNP Tshoot [ ], CCIE Written[ ] 2016: CCIE Lab [ ]
WGU Progress: EUP1 CDP1 TBP1 CIC1 TCP1 TJC1 AGC1 TJP1 BVC1 CLC1 COV1 CQV1 CUV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 GAC1 CJC1 CDC1 UBT1 EAV1 EBV1 WFV1 UBC1 EUC1 AJV1 BNC1 BOV1 CSV1 CTV1 CUV1 IWC1 IWT1 TPV1 AHV1 AIV1
Start date: 4/1/2014 Transfered To do Currently Working On Completed

Comments

• bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi Julisug,

You sound like your in the same kind of job role as me, and I have recently acquired my CCNA backend of last year to! I am studying for my Route firstly, and have found the INE and CBT videos very useful! I find the CBT nuggets is quick and informative and that INE goes very in depth!

I also find that taking lots of notes from each chapter and also going through Techexam forums for other users that have written notes very useful to!

Good luck! :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • JuliusgJuliusg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks bharvery!

I'm stronger with L2 technologies than L3 so i went the easier route lol. I plan on taking the test no later than June 19. Depending on hold fast I get through the second pass of my studies. I also like to wish you luck on your exams!
    CCNP Switch[ ], CCNA-Voice[ ], CCNP Route[ ] 2015: CCNP Tshoot [ ], CCIE Written[ ] 2016: CCIE Lab [ ]
    WGU Progress: EUP1 CDP1 TBP1 CIC1 TCP1 TJC1 AGC1 TJP1 BVC1 CLC1 COV1 CQV1 CUV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 GAC1 CJC1 CDC1 UBT1 EAV1 EBV1 WFV1 UBC1 EUC1 AJV1 BNC1 BOV1 CSV1 CTV1 CUV1 IWC1 IWT1 TPV1 AHV1 AIV1
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd recommend checking out the The Bryant Advantage CCNP Series. It's much cheaper then most training vendors and in my opinion better then them.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    No problem mate,

Ah I find L2 technologies much easier to, possibly because I use more of them on a day-day basis! Good luck, sure your be fine man!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    Haven't been on in a while but I have been studying continuously off & on. I still on the second pass of the Switch OCG. I'm at Chapt 6(Aggregating Switch Links) & I have been making notes for each chapter. I do most of my studying at work and on days I can't read I look at the INE & CBT nugget video while I'm working. I have a April date in mine but haven't scheduled the date yet. It all depends on how I feel in a few weeks.

Currently studying:
    Switch OCG
    Chpt 6 Aggregating Switch Links
    2x reading/ note taking
  • tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    FloOz wrote: »
    I'd recommend checking out the The Bryant Advantage CCNP Series. It's much cheaper then most training vendors and in my opinion better then them.

Agreed on the material from Chris Bryant.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep plucking at it!

Through my experience with testing is Cisco likes to find the little things and make a tough question on it. Take notes on everything! My personal method is read through it first, highlight the important areas (or what you believe to be important) and come back and take hand written notes on those subjects, don't underestimate something you believe not to be as important (I swear Cisco knows this and tries to exploit us).

Also, mark off areas where the books give an example to lab a scenario and play with making it work / breaking it / fixing it. Do you have equipment to lab with? I personally am working on ironing out the physical stuff I will need to have it ready when I dive into switch as soon as I pass route. (Seeing the switch book literally half the size is such a sigh of relief!)

Good luck to ya!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Keep plucking at it!

Through my experience with testing is Cisco likes to find the little things and make a tough question on it. Take notes on everything! My personal method is read through it first, highlight the important areas (or what you believe to be important) and come back and take hand written notes on those subjects, don't underestimate something you believe not to be as important (I swear Cisco knows this and tries to exploit us).

Also, mark off areas where the books give an example to lab a scenario and play with making it work / breaking it / fixing it. Do you have equipment to lab with? I personally am working on ironing out the physical stuff I will need to have it ready when I dive into switch as soon as I pass route. (Seeing the switch book literally half the size is such a sigh of relief!)

Good luck to ya!

Yeah I have some lab equipment and I use it during my CCNA studies but I haven't have the time to do any just yet for CCNP. Its been rough working and having a family especially when my gf is studying for her NCLEX... But I also have my local technical college which has voice cisco lab equipment, I just need a few extra things to make it work like I would like. i just wish I had more time but I won't get it if I have all of these excuses.
    *****************UPDATE**************
    I have been studying for my CCNP Switch & going through the process of getting in school for my BS as well. I have been accepted into WGU and I'm waiting on the FA to go through to start. I'm excited for this since I have ALOT of my classes exempted from my AS. I'm still working on the CCNP test, and has set a soft date as for April 23 (the day I got my A+ & three days for my 30th birthday). I'm still about 65% ready and I only have a few weeks to study. I'm going to have to get into to serious study mode to get ready for this test. Today I been watching the INE videos for VTP & EtherChannel. I haven't start the chapter yet but I'll try to get some of it done tonight.

Currently studying:
    Switch OCG
    2x reading/ note taking
    INE Videos - EtherChannel
    Juliusg wrote: »
    *****************UPDATE**************
    I have been studying for my CCNP Switch & going through the process of getting in school for my BS as well. I have been accepted into WGU and I'm waiting on the FA to go through to start. I'm excited for this since I have ALOT of my classes exempted from my AS. I'm still working on the CCNP test, and has set a soft date as for April 23 (the day I got my A+ & three days for my 30th birthday). I'm still about 65% ready and I only have a few weeks to study. I'm going to have to get into to serious study mode to get ready for this test. Today I been watching the INE videos for VTP & EtherChannel. I haven't start the chapter yet but I'll try to get some of it done tonight.

Currently studying:
    Switch OCG
    2x reading/ note taking
    INE Videos - EtherChannel

Nice! I look forward to monitoring your progress!
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Updates

I have been looking at the INE videos lately. They have been a good refresher for what I read in the OCG. I'm still outlining the chapters but its been very slow. I'm starting WGU next week so I'm not going to have the same amount of time to focus on just SWITCH. I know it possible to do this but I have to find a middle ground so I can get as much do as possible. This may mean some sleepless weeks and lots of coffee drinking. I have a plan on where I want to be at the end of this year and from this point I'm on track. I still have a very high stress level with my girlfriend but I'm learning it going to be like this until SHE passes her NCLEX. I'll continue to take it one day at a time until I'm ready... thank for the support from the forum as well it helps alot!

Currently studying:
    Switch OCG
    2x reading/ note taking
    INE Videos - interVLANs
    Hi Guys!

Its been a year & half since i updated my progress. I haven't been actively studying for the CCNP but i now have a job working as a Data Tech for an ISP. I am about to start my journey once again and have set a time frame of about 6-10 months to get my CCNP. I'll document my path as before and would like to have other provide methods they use to obtain theirs. Thanks you guys for experiencing this with me!

Juliusg
    its been a while but i'm back at the studying game. I have wait a long time since I first started this and since, the exam have changed. I still have the old material and have obtain the new books from online. I prefer the PDFs since i can use them at work when i have down time like now :). I am currently reading up on the Multilayer Switching chapter inter CCNP SWITCH 300-115 OCG. I'll try to use the same strategy as before to ready once & note once afterward. Its going to take some time but I am ready for the challenge.

Currently studying:
    Switch OCG 300-115
    Chpt 11 Multilayer Switching
    2x reading/ note taking
    Good to see you have re-kindled the flame! I myself fell off the study wagon for several months after my wife and I had our first child. I too also have gotten deep into switch studies again and am shooting for the test attempt this December.

The biggest challenge to studying for tests like this is staying consistent. Keep yourself a study log. Even if you can only squeeze in 30 minutes a day you are still moving forward and making progress. That has been my problem with my study disciplines that I have told myself now I will never let be an issue again... I hope. :)

Good luck to ya mate!