Options

School for MCSE not Bootcamp?

M3CodyM3Cody Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Im trying to find where I can obtain some hands on training to prep for the MCSA. Not a boot camp. Ive been looking at community colleges and not finding too much. Any recommended schools or ways to study this? Im in southern California but any info to get me in the right direction is helpful.

Comments

• Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    New Horizons or Global Knowledge could be a good starting point, provided that there is one near you.
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not just do a home lab? I'd say to just get the M$ Press books and lab it at home. You don't need anything special really, I'm pretty sure that whatever computer you're running can handle virtualbox and and at least one server vm.
  • Options
    Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could try something like pluralsight, they have excellent resources.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can get the same hands on from a cbt series like trainsignal/pluralsight. They teach you the same thing you would learn in a training course. Trust me i know from experience I went through a year long program. I learned a lot but after watching trainsignal videos it was same experience for a fractio of the price of the live program. Imo get the videos and the step by step microsoft book, get a beefy pc and run several virtual machines for your hands on. Thats all you need to get you going.
  • Options
    Right on thanks guys. If I do self studying what is a realistic goal to pass all the test for the CCNA? I don't have a job right now so studying will really be my new job. I know this can vary per person but I don't want to take too long either
  • Options
    GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi, I second what Qord and dmarcisco have said, using MS books and virtualbox or VMware Player is a great way to learn (and what I have done in the past for a number of my certs). To add to their suggestions for Microsoft studies why not look at Microsoft's Virtual Academy for training videos (Free training and it can be downloaded for offline viewing), the Technet Virtual Labs (Hands on training environments for different tasks), and Technet Test Lab Guides (suggestions for Microsoft test environments)?

For Cisco why not use GNS3 (check out gns3vault.com and gns3.net) for virtual labs with Virtual Box (unless you decide to get hardware, ebay may be a good place to look for kit).

Good luck with your studies!
    WIP: 2017 - VCP6.5-DCV (Achieved), VCAP6-DCV, Citrix CCA-V
  • Options
    Its very likely M3Cody. As I mentioned in my earlier post I did a year long training program in MCSE 03 and CCNA. Taking a month long CCNA course was not enough to have all of the material sink in. In the class we used packet tracer since everything was virtual I couldn't really visualize how everything would really work such as cabling, how the cards would look when enabled versus disabled, different slots, password recovery on switches using the mode button small stuff.

It was only after I was done with the program that I got the cbt nuggets ccna with jeremy ciora and really rekindled my love for networking. I chose to get real equipment to allow myself to get the real feel how things connect, etc following chris bryants topology 3 routers, 1 frame relay, 2 layer 2 switches, and 1 access server.

I watched all of the videos that pertained to the ccent took notes and wrote down all of commands he did in his labs. I reread my notes and tried to replicate the labs later on. After I felt comfortable with it I read chris bryant ebooks on the ccent section read them and took notes explaining the concepts in my own words. I did his labs as well. After going through the material a few times I drilled it into my head. I then had my girlfriend test me with a Q & A with flashcards that I made. After I was able to thoroughly explain each concept I went to take the ccent and it was fairly simple for me.

For the Icnd2 I used the same strategy it took me 2 times to pass that exam since I was tripping myself up taking to long to answer the questions. The first time I ran out of time and failed with a 758 and had 8 unanswered questions. I'm sure if I would've got those questions answered I would've passed the first time. Took me about 6 months to study and pass both exams. For others it may be sooner but I would take breaks in between put it off for a few days. But I estimate if I would've stayed on top of it I could have been done in 3-4 months of hardcore studying.

*Also to add since you are currently not working if you dedicate your free time to studying/labbing you can be ready in half of the time.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    It's important to remember that different people have different learning styles. Some can learn extremely well through books alone, some need verbal direction from an instructor, some can only pick up anything through direct hands-on activity and others still need a social environment where they can learn verbally as well as through "osmosis" (interacting with other students). Of course, some people will need combinations of the above resources.

I'd certainly suggest, too, that when dealing with a tough topic that's tough to get a good grasp of that people be willing to "throw the kitchen sink at it". I wasn't able to finish my CCNA until I'd tried just about every type of resource available. It was just after a weekend boot camp that I finally got the last pieces down and wrapped it up. The boot camp didn't help THAT much, but it did fill in some holes and helped me get "the big picture".
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I agree with petedude too, only you will know how best you will learn (I learn well from a combo of reading, videos and hands on lab work). Classes are great (if you can afford them), the opportunity to learn from both the instructor and your fellow class mates is not to be under-valued (especially when sharing real world experience of working with the technologies being discussed).
  • Options
    I agree some people can find themselves more engaged with the material in a classroom setting versus home alone when there are so many distractions that one can encounter but everything depends on time, money, and dedication. I always advocate trying the self study route first to see how you get it and if you still can't grasp it that is when classroom study helps.

I understood how everything worked but as far as getting the big picture I never really got it until I started working in the field and now I see it from a different perspective.
  • Options
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Its very likely M3Cody. As I mentioned in my earlier post I did a year long training program in MCSE 03 and CCNA. Taking a month long CCNA course was not enough to have all of the material sink in. In the class we used packet tracer since everything was virtual I couldn't really visualize how everything would really work such as cabling, how the cards would look when enabled versus disabled, different slots, password recovery on switches using the mode button small stuff.

It was only after I was done with the program that I got the cbt nuggets ccna with jeremy ciora and really rekindled my love for networking. I chose to get real equipment to allow myself to get the real feel how things connect, etc following chris bryants topology 3 routers, 1 frame relay, 2 layer 2 switches, and 1 access server.

I watched all of the videos that pertained to the ccent took notes and wrote down all of commands he did in his labs. I reread my notes and tried to replicate the labs later on. After I felt comfortable with it I read chris bryant ebooks on the ccent section read them and took notes explaining the concepts in my own words. I did his labs as well. After going through the material a few times I drilled it into my head. I then had my girlfriend test me with a Q & A with flashcards that I made. After I was able to thoroughly explain each concept I went to take the ccent and it was fairly simple for me.

For the Icnd2 I used the same strategy it took me 2 times to pass that exam since I was tripping myself up taking to long to answer the questions. The first time I ran out of time and failed with a 758 and had 8 unanswered questions. I'm sure if I would've got those questions answered I would've passed the first time. Took me about 6 months to study and pass both exams. For others it may be sooner but I would take breaks in between put it off for a few days. But I estimate if I would've stayed on top of it I could have been done in 3-4 months of hardcore studying.

*Also to add since you are currently not working if you dedicate your free time to studying/labbing you can be ready in half of the time.

Good info, thank you. That's my thing, im best with hands on learning. I think right now I should get the MCSE then move on to CCNA. Since ill probably have to enter into some desktop support position I think this would help me most. I have the money and time for schooling, but for some reason am having a hell of a time trying to find some decent schooling focused on this. I see mostly boot camps and online... I hate to say it but I don't know if im disciplined enough to just do a complete cert myself at home. (yet)

Much appreciate all the replies! I started studying a N+ book, it was to basic. Started with the CCNA and it starts very basic but looks to get much more advanced. But for now I think MCSE 2012 Microsoft Server
  • Options
    Keith Mayer has some good info on preparing for the MCSA 2012 on his blog, especially the MCSA in 90 days, which may help you. There is also the MCSE in 60 days for further assistance. Best wishes