Options

Confused about VMWare Course help?

doodguydoodguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm currently studying scott lowe mastering vsphere 5.5, and I understand I need to go through Pearson Vue when ready to test, but I also Need to take some sort of "approved course"

I emailed VMWare and got some reply offering courses in the $1000 range!?!?

Is that my only option to get VCP certified?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, the only way to be certified is to sit through the course. BUT, there are places that do it for much less than that. There's a whole gamut of threads in the Virtualization forum on here with people discussing various options. Have a squiz through them, though briefly I can tell you that Stanly.edu do the course for about $280, online, but there's a waiting list. If you put yourself on the waiting list today, you may get into the one they'll have mid year. Oh and you can take the course or the test first, but you only become a VCP when you've done both. It may make sense to do the course first to get a feel for things if you don't work with vSphere on a daily basis. Hope this helps.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    There was talk that you had to be pre-confirmed before booking the VCP now (and I actually thought that was a requirement when booking the exam but I could be wrong).

Go for an Academy if you can't get work to cover the cost, they are cheaper but obviously take a lot longer.
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    There are still VMWare jobs that pay very well, and lots of lower-paying jobs that have VMWare knowledge as a requirement. To me, the ROI (both time and money) for sitting through an Academy course is still extremely good when you consider what it could do for your career. Paying $1000+ for a training center boot camp, though, becomes a dice roll-- especially if you're already at the rice-and-beans budget level.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    doodguydoodguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Yes, the only way to be certified is to sit through the course. BUT, there are places that do it for much less than that. There's a whole gamut of threads in the Virtualization forum on here with people discussing various options. Have a squiz through them, though briefly I can tell you that Stanly.edu do the course for about $280, online, but there's a waiting list. If you put yourself on the waiting list today, you may get into the one they'll have mid year. Oh and you can take the course or the test first, but you only become a VCP when you've done both. It may make sense to do the course first to get a feel for things if you don't work with vSphere on a daily basis. Hope this helps.

So Stanley.edu enables you to meet the VMware requirement for the class?
  • Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    Yes it does Doodguy
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    petedude wrote: »
    There are still VMWare jobs that pay very well, and lots of lower-paying jobs that have VMWare knowledge as a requirement. To me, the ROI (both time and money) for sitting through an Academy course is still extremely good when you consider what it could do for your career. Paying $1000+ for a training center boot camp, though, becomes a dice roll-- especially if you're already at the rice-and-beans budget level.

didn't mean to be rude but it's Stanly Community College - Albemarle, NC

I tried to enroll myself for VMWare waiting list but when I go to Stanly online I can't see VMWare in the list... can someone help me with this?

I want to enroll my self in the waiting list for VMWare online training...
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • Options
    nitin20nitin20 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, you can check for Authorized VMware Training on this link: VMware Training - Find a Class

Here you check for a training provider who would be near to your place and also check on the various modes of training available that you can take.

I assume that you are trying for VCP5-DCV certification, in that case you can opt for VCP550 exam, this is the latest one and opt for the training course: VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.5] which is a 5 day full time training program in case you are joining for a classroom training.

Just remember, you need to take training from an approved\authorized training partner\vendor of VMware only else you cannot qualify for the certification. This is because VMware allocates you a unique candidate ID by which it identifies you and the certification that you hold.

Hope this helps you.
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just saw your post today. Here is our link to our online wait list: https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php

shezy77 wrote: »
    didn't mean to be rude but it's Stanly Community College - Albemarle, NC

I tried to enroll myself for VMWare waiting list but when I go to Stanly online I can't see VMWare in the list... can someone help me with this?

I want to enroll my self in the waiting list for VMWare online training...