Options

Displaying certifications in office/cubicle?

theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I searched and didn't see any threads but...

After I moved into a position where I got my own cubicle I did decorate it with some of my personal stuff and made it unique to me but there's still one wall that's a little bare.

And the one thing I always wanted to do, even before promotion was get a corkboard and display all of my certifications on it. More or less the same set up I have in my home office. I have a buddy who works at a print shop and I typically have him print out the certs on super nice paper and a 4x6in size. I then just space them out nice and evenly and group them together by vendor and topic.

I've seen people display their degrees in their cubes or offices, but never their certs. It's not really to show off or impress, it's more for me. I'm proud of how I've changed over the years, where I am, and what I've accomplished.

My rant aside, is displaying all your certs in your work space tacky, distasteful, disrespectful, too cocky, okay, or is it to each their own?

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I first started going for certs I would display them. Now however not so much. For me personally it doesn't make a difference whether or not my colleagues know I passed my CCNP. However if I had a CCIE plaque I would display that :)
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    At my work our the tech team's certifications are on the walls of the conference room. Its an easy way for our clients to see that we do know what we're talking about without having to explain everything in depth or give them a vague explanation.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Hang them up. Why not? You earned it!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    I hide mine in a fireproof safe at home.....but I'm paranoid! lol
  • Options
    MCITBoundMCITBound Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Missing one in this pic but here's my wall!

I'm proud of my accomplishments! Why not show them if you've earned them!
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There was a thread on this topic some time ago that I did reply to....

One time I had a girlfriend who looked at all of my old credentials (at the time) and said "What have you done lately?" She was bounced shortly thereafter for the same reason.

I don't have a problem in either case. IMHO I have quite a few so it would clutter my walls. I have quite a few and I am always studying for more. I get certified to keep up to date on environments, help with my Masters, and I like to learn new technologies. Since I work for a MSP its nice to say I have some credentials to back them up.
    I just keep them at home in a folder. I do like frames on the right hand side of MCITBound's pic. I am just more concerned with getting more certifications and working on my lab at home.
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    I put mine up for myself, not other people. To me it's a reminder to keep moving forward. I'll look at them and it just drives me to get more and keep learning. When they expire, I'll toss them.
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BGraves wrote: »

I keep the originals in a fireproof safe at home, but I always make sure to get and save the PDF version.
    MCITBound wrote: »

Looks nice.

I could do that in my cube but it'd be pushing it which is why I stick with having a buddy print out smaller versions of the certs.

Can't read your warrants but I picked up Cpl a few months ago. Never thought of putting them in my cube.
    bobloblaw wrote: »
    I put mine up for myself, not other people. To me it's a reminder to keep moving forward. I'll look at them and it just drives me to get more and keep learning. When they expire, I'll toss them.

Yeah, if I put mine up, it's more for me than anything. I used to be lazy and have no drive so I'm proud of what I've accomplished. As well, I feel as it gives people coming to you for help or questions more peace of mind. And it would open some doors with upper management if they came by and noticed, here anyways.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    If it suits you, I say go for it. I personally could care less, my goals are for my own satisfaction and I don't talk about it really.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally follow the trend at my office regarding both displaying certs and putting certs in my email signature. I just follow the crowd :) My current job at least, the IT auditors don't seem to display certs. That said, if I manage to pass the OSCP, I may display that (until the newness wears off at least).
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I personally don't care, but in a small company we all have to do our part to get the certs we need to maintain our partner statuses. We all hang ours as a reminder of that fact.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    My last job was a cube farm and I hung up the Linux+ because it was the first "real" cert I achieved and frankly it is still one of the most difficult certs I have completed since I was a linux n00b at the time. Other guys (older and more experienced) around me had RHCSE, VCP, CCIE...I needed something :)

Now I don't really care tbh and don't bother printing them out. To each his own!
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One place I worked the security guys had their GIACs and CISSPs hanging but other then that I didn't see anything else.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCITBound wrote: »

Nice picture buddy ;)
  • Options
    MCITBoundMCITBound Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theanimal wrote: »

Looks nice.

I could do that in my cube but it'd be pushing it which is why I stick with having a buddy print out smaller versions of the certs.

Can't read your warrants but I picked up Cpl a few months ago. Never thought of putting them in my cube.

Grats on Cpl Devil Dog!!! Make sure you keep everyone in line and lead by example! I could never find a good place to display the warrants so I decided to throw them on the shelf there. I think they look good there!

Thanks ccnpninja And tprice5! I love the Minnesota Wild!
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    I say go for it! You earned them... I have mine hanging up in my home office and it motivates me to keep pushing myself forward. I'm also doing this to better myself and not to impress others.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I display mine on my cube wall, originally meant to serve as a motivation to me to keep up. Now I'm contemplating taking them down, because I keep looking up there and being reminded that my last certification was obtained on December 12, 2012... way too long ago.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @MS icon_lol.gif Mine are in a filing cabinet with crayons marking some of them up from my kids. My son tore up one of my MS certs. icon_lol.gif I use mine for resume fodder to get past HR so if they ask I can produce some of them. ***They never ask.
  • Options
    SurgeSurge Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hang them up in my cubicle. Like some others have said they keep me motivated to keep going and I am proud of my accomplishments. They might not be as high valued to others but I know the hard work and growth that comes with each one of mine so its good to see them sometimes.

Plenty of wall space left for more..
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I've been meaning to get my diploma and my certs framed, and hang them up somewhere in my house. I am starting to think after reading this thread though that work may be better, as when it gets super stressful and I wonder what in the hell I am doing there it may be helpful through those times :)

I really like the idea of shrinking them down too and sticking them on a cork board, I might have to use that!
  • Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    My dog ate my Linux+ cert.

I don't display them and they sit in a filing cabinet. But to each their own.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont like it when people show off their accomplishments so I dont do it.
    Its always more impressive to find out someone is a CCNP by working with them rather than to see it on his wall.
    I also dont like it when people fill their email signatures with all their certs.
    This website is the only exception because its a cert site :D
  • Options
    MunkinMunkin Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly I don't know where most of my certs or diplomas are? I have my latest CISSP one in my desk because my job required a copy. The CISO plaque is on my desk just because a coworker wanted to know what it looked like.

Besides this board the only places I list credentials are resume' and now signature block for work. The signature block thing is just a **** match currently going on between our department and another organization. Someone from the other group put that he had Sec+ in his signature block which meant he was smarter than us because of it. Now everyone lists everything they have in their signature block.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Munkin wrote: »
    Besides this board the only places I list credentials are resume' and now signature block for work. The signature block thing is just a **** match currently going on between our department and another organization. Someone from the other group put that he had Sec+ in his signature block which meant he was smarter than us because of it. Now everyone lists everything they have in their signature block.

^That is f'ing awesome :)
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Munkin wrote: »

This is a nice lead-in to my point of view:

I have high quality copies of a few of mine displayed at work and they are there partially to impress the non-technical people. When it comes to my peers, the things that come out of my mouth are going to do a MUCH better job of convincing them that I am competent (or not) than some pieces of paper on the wall.

Of course, work has payed for the training for several of the certs, so there is a little bit of, "Here, see what you paid for? I went ahead and got certified after the class." I find it makes them a more agreeable to paying for future training.

All of my originals (and most of the score reports) are in a page protectors in a folder at home.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wouldn't do that as a personal preference. It devalues the efforts you made to get the certs. This should be updated between you and your manager.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • Options
    SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BGraves wrote: »

I have the originals at home, but I printed out PDF copies to display on my walls along with my degrees. It's nice for when clients come to visit - they can see easily that we are highly educated in the field.
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work at a shitty help desk where I do some sys admin stuff, but most of it is processing paperwork so someone else can create user accounts. So I hang up every single piece of paper I own so people question my command on why I am working there instead of on the networking team or server team where the people don't know what they are doing. No mention of job change yet, so I'll just keep getting more until I get out of the army. I really miss my networking job I had prior to this duty location.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The logos for everyone's certs are displayed on the name tags outside their cubicles.

I didn't ask for it to be done, it's just a de facto thing that's done by your supervisor when you in-process. It's kind of silly.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna